Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh yeah, it says 3.4 / 56 cc. I've been running under the assumption it's a 3700 in 3400 clothing. Can't wait to try the caliper depth probe / swizzle stick out on it and report back with dimensions.. what if top end is different though? Assume some have different depth to lower/raise the cc accordingly for various models?

They are all the same. Same crank, stroke etc. The ONLY difference is the bore diameter.

Gregg,

That's a nice thread. Agreed, too bad about the pics.. As for Moose, If I'm not mistaken, your odds were always better seeing them in New Brunswick, than in N.S. - with exception of the island of Cape Breton. Having said that, I hear the mainland moose is making a comeback in recent years. I for one, have never seen any on the mainland - but I will admit to being mainly a suburbanite or outskirts kid for the most part.

In other news, I'm going to pick up an XL-1 and a Remington Mighty Mite 400 today for $30. Man, this CAD has hit me hard. I *do* sell and trade them though (albeit with a list of untouchables, which includes my 3400 types), so it's not extreme. I'm mainly after the XL-1, I have a friend who is fond of them, and I scoop them up when I can.

Oh yes, and picking up a running Pioneer 1073 powerhead Wednesday for $30 - which is primarily about the intact air filter cover - but will likely get put together as something I'll have available when someone emails about a firewood saw.

I've seen a 3400 XP Pro that was a 3700 as well. That grey one that Craigwell has is truly an odd ball

I thought this one might be a 4000 version because of the air filter set up but it is a 3400.

I have two of these 3700's labelled as 3400 but with 61 cc in the fine print

Many of the Poulan branded 3400's have the 3700 AF cover with the rear vents.

another

141qykx.jpg

I've seen a 3400 XP Pro that was a 3700 as well. That grey one that Craigwell has is truly an odd ball

Many of the Poulan branded 3400's have the 3700 AF cover with the rear vents.

I'm starting to wish I brought the dang thing with me to Moncton. I have some downtime between my work responsibilities. You better believe I'd have it apart on my tailgate checking the bore if it was here. Getting rid of a PP4218 and a 2150 marked "fubar" by previous owner (I kept b/c off them) and doing some other picking today, so it's not a total loss lol.

My Craftsman is a mean, heavy brute, that runs very well. I bought it from the original owner in Havelock, N.B. in 2010 for $125. It was the third saw I ever bought. It's not going anywhere.

The original owner took great care of it, and I also got the manual for it - although it may have been lost in a move. Hope not. I need to look for that.

Got them saved in threads elsewhere because I got tired of info getting lost here. Lot of history and hard work folks put in threads gone down the drain.

I am seeing this thread as a fairly priceless resource. My Craftsman was what originally drew me to this site / thread in the first place. I am wondering about saving it offline.

Here is my post from Dec 2010 when I bought the saw. Apparently I dug this out of the manual / and off the saw at the time. Wow. I feel like I just entered a time warp!! This is from post #6700

Craftsman / Poulan 3400, new owner, curious to learn more about it

Hello there,

Today I bought a real good running Craftsman saw, for $150 Canadian. I see now I may have paid a bit much, but I was impressed with the excellent condition the previous owner kept it in since new, and it seems more than capable of doing what I want (occasional felling, and the odd bit of framing carpentry

I've determined that it is based on a Poulan 3400, and that's why I'm here!

Model #: 358-41418
It was originally purchased in 1987, Sears Canada. Manual says 1985 on the print date. I am thinking the 41418 is a Canadian only number possibly? The manual that came with it covers 358.59516, 59318, and 59520 models, and the 41418 is just stamped on with block letters and ink, something I'm not unaccustomed to seeing with stuff adapted to the Canadian market.

This does have a chain break.

It has an 18" bar, according to the manual, it will take an Oregon P76 LP chain, Craftsman 16-20" SNR LOW KICK bar.

I cant believe how many pages are in this thread, incredible resource, but not sure I can navigate through it all. I did try a few pages.

My googling has had me at this site all day, and it has been the best source I've found, so I've taken the plunge.

Wondering what anyone might be able to tell me about this saw, what I can expect from it, results with a larger bar, etc. Am I better off looking for Poulan parts? not sure what differences. All very new to me.

I also have a Makita DCS400. It seems capable enough, but maybe a little small.

Thanks for having me aboard!

You're not talking about my saw, are you?

It is a 61cc saw. It would have been mine but it was 4 hours north of me and the guy wouldn't ship. The guy said he didn't have pay pal or anything similar so I would have to bring him the cash in person before he would ship it. DUH!

I do note that I still don't pull anything off of Acres or google with that 358.41418 number

Just another observation, and this is just my thoughts & experience with this series of Poulans. And NOTHING is set in stone..LOL. That it looks like your saw has a Windsor type bar on it, and still carrying the Vangaurd chain. (I know could have been replaced at some time.) But "most" 3400's I have seen, down here anyway, came with the banana nose safety tip bars. The ones with Windsor Speed Tip bars were "usually" 3700's or 4000's.

Just my observations and thoughts over the years from these saws, that I have seen in the US. I have never owned a Canadian model, so just a big wild ass guess on part on some of this. ;) Down here, its rare to see a 3400 with chain brake. But, up there its common.

Gregg,

Seven of the ten I have came with Windsors. I also picked up a NOS 16" Windsor with a NOS Poulan chain from a guy who bought it as a back up for his 3400 when he bought the saw new. I have one with a banana bar, a grey 3800. Almost all that I see for sale up here have Windsors on them. I suppose Poulan Canada may have sourced the bars here rather than from the US since they would be considered a finished product and would have had a much higher duty rate.

Here is one to throw another monkey wrench into the discussion. LOL This was posted by a member (gonecountry) from Nova Scotia, back in 09. Nothing was really said about it, history wise. Looks like original paint etc. But the the decal on the recoil looks typical from American versions. But I cant read the fine print on it.:confused:

Apr20th2009010.jpg

They did make orange versions in the US as well. I'm wondering if they were for export only. I saw pics of a 3400 like that from Australia.

You're not talking about my saw, are you?

Nope. The one in post 35072.

Feel sorry for this chap.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-power-tool/moncton/poulin-chain-saw/1046091434

It won't be on my list to go see.

I did pick up a lovely early (blue) Homie XL-1 and a cute Remington Mighty Mite 400, along with a couple grease guns and saw wrenches for $40 today in Moncton. Good day. They're in the back of my truck (I'm in Hotel for work) or I'd put posts up now. Alas, it will have to wait until tomorrow lol.

Latest posts

Back