Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My post was about crank seals for the 5200 and like saws that take the 17x28.5x6mm crank seal not Poulan saws in general. :pingpong:

That was obvious to me after I done some searching through that site. If a man was only wanting 5200 seals its probably not a bad choice, but I did see AVX seals has the same seal 17x28.5 x7mm wide which I'm assuming would be fine (basically the same price you listed) and AVX does have some of the other Poulan size seals I use. I have ordered from them before.

Thanks Mark!

A 49 cc saw on a low 10 lb chassis sounds like a real nice saw. May have to seek one out.

The 49cc saws were not real plentiful it seems. I also would pick one up, just never run across one locally and wasn't paying ebay rates and shipping for unknown ones. The 49cc versions had decomps if I remember right,, at least some did anyway.

2200 2500 2750 2775 2900 3050 PP 295, PP 4620. There was a 40cc Poulan pro in this series I think a PP 250 255 or something like that and a 49cc Poulan pro 315? I think the smallest branded as a Poulan was 40cc nothing smaller like the Husky 36, 136 was. I could be forgetting though.

The PP255 is the 40cc saw , the PP310 and PP315 are 49cc saws .

We did have and maybe still do a 34XX and a 38XX where XX were different bar lengths and they were advertised as having 34 and 38cc motors but if you look at the IPL's they both had 40cc set ups. Same engine, same carb. I don't know if they were sold in the US.

A week ago I bought a black Craftsman 3.3 off the local craigslist that looked pretty much unused and the guy said he was letting it go cheap because the chain wouldn't stay tight. Got it home, pulled the bar and chain and lo and behold no sign of a tension screw. I fixed that , put an 18" bar and some new .325 chain on it, changed out the spark plug for an NGK , filled it with fresh mix and she fired right up. The carb needed some minor adjusting and then I spent the day cutting up three good sized ash trees with it. Another good saw in the herd.

I was able to watch the chip flow today with 20" buried 71cc. Good to go with the side tensioner 372 clutch cover.

Had to throw the FD 415 ventmaster recoil cover on with it's D-ring for quick testing. Broke the rope 3rd pull on on other one.

Seemed to be the order of the day... I busted the rope on a fresh “no jug gasket” Poulan 245SA yesterday, then turned around & broke a plastic Oregon “D handle” starter pull into four pieces on a fresh Super 045 creamsicle yesterday. Takes all I got to start them, pulling like they owe you money, lol.

These saws have to be running 160-170 pounds static compression. Both over 75cc.

EDIT, pics added as I know we like pics!

32B4C1BE-E0FD-4EBB-A6BA-A89ED24A06D2.jpegE0161B51-C216-4A8C-B4F8-7C6473A42191.jpeg

This is about the only good video clip I got yesterday. 20” bar and Oregon D70 low kickback chain on it. I believe you guys call these “banana” bars because of the upswept nose? Anyways as you can see the current B&C setup needs to go. Im leaning in favor of a 28” full house setup for this saw and of course a better “test log” setup.

Had a few spare minutes two nights ago, I don’t have many anymore! So I pulled the muffler on the 5400 and painted it and cleaned up the saw a little more.

With the muffler being such a prominent feature on these saws cleaning it up makes such a difference in appearance. Looks Good!

Latest posts

Back