Problematic MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work Brad.

Is the coil from Edwads 661 the new updated one, or the origional one that Stihl put on the 661's ?

Have you tried running his intake boot on your saw?
I have not. I have re-installed my intake that is just like his, complete with rubber washers. It does not collapse under 15PSI of vacuum.

Is the coil from Edwads 661 the new updated one, or the origional one that Stihl put on the 661's ?
The PN is same. However, there is another four digit number on it that is different. Both cool run perfectly on the other saw.

Here's where I am on this. I'm splitting the case on this thing. Both case halves will be inspected carefully. I will block sand both mating surfaces on a sheet of glass. I will put it back together with Permatex 518. I will be replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter, tank vent, and impulse hose.

I have not. I have re-installed my intake that is just like his, complete with rubber washers. It does not collapse under 15PSI of vacuum.

The PN is same. However, there is another four digit number on it that is different. Both cool run perfectly on the other saw.

Here's where I am on this. I'm splitting the case on this thing. Both case halves will be inspected carefully. I will block sand both mating surfaces on a sheet of glass. I will put it back together with Permatex 518. I will be replacing the fuel lines, fuel filter, tank vent, and impulse hose.

On a saw that runs overall that well? you're a crazy man!

Cough cough. I would likely do the same thing or it would drive me nuts.:crazy2:

Brad, just a thought. Once you get this figured out, which you will. It is just a matter of time. I would be willing to throw in some serious cash to buy all the saws that Stihl has with bog issues before you go public with the results. :surprised3::surprised3:

One friend to another, you have gone this far and are so close. Take a deep breath slow down and don't let your frustrations get the best of you. The last thing you want at this point and time is to get it fixed and not be able to pin point what it was. If it was simple it would have already been found and Stihl would be having its dealers making the fixes. Time is money and think about how much time you have into this saw already. Hang in there!!!

PS... A lot of the new carbs are not being cleaned well at manufacturing and are leaving debris in the solenoids.

Ha ha now another new wrinkle to think about :angry: the amount folk pay for OEM, one would think it would be poifict! like my spelling.

Thanks for the hyper interesting thread -- I am relaxing while Wife and MIL fuss over the doneness of the pork, after defusing conflict between the 18 and 21 yr old siblings on Xmas day, I took all the stress out of the sitchayshun, but need to destress myself. don't know how i did it but I give myself a tiny tinfoil medal anyways. Well, at least for now. Lol.

Going everything auto this electronic that where the heck is the electric start option and the auto chain tension digital tach and electronic decompression valve. Maybe add a back blow option too to blow the debris off the air filter

Brad, just a thought. Once you get this figured out, which you will. It is just a matter of time. I would be willing to throw in some serious cash to buy all the saws that Stihl has with bog issues before you go public with the results. :surprised3::surprised3:

One friend to another, you have gone this far and are so close. Take a deep breath slow down and don't let your frustrations get the best of you. The last thing you want at this point and time is to get it fixed and not be able to pin point what it was. If it was simple it would have already been found and Stihl would be having its dealers making the fixes. Time is money and think about how much time you have into this saw already. Hang in there!!!

Disregard the comments on monetarily capitalizing on "STIHLs" Problem. When he does figure out the ISSUE(s) There are Many readers /followers sitting on the edge of their seat with anticipation,,, To NOT get the rest of the story would be like reading a GREAT book but getting to the end you find the LAST chapter or paragraph is NOT there.
BRAD::: I for one would not hold it against you if this is what you would do BUT I would consider you a TEASE.
I have to admit this thread is drawing out a lot of suspense... (and I am kinda enjoying it)

Yes. They put the new updated coil and a new wiring harness on it. It runs perfect now. We used it over Christmas to fell and buck a large dead elm tree. It never stuttered once.

Disregard the comments on monetarily capitalizing on "STIHLs" Problem. When he does figure out the ISSUE(s) There are Many readers /followers sitting on the edge of their seat with anticipation,,, To NOT get the rest of the story would be like reading a GREAT book but getting to the end you find the LAST chapter or paragraph is NOT there.
BRAD::: I for one would not hold it against you if this is what you would do BUT I would consider you a TEASE.
I have to admit this thread is drawing out a lot of suspense... (and I am kinda enjoying it)

Am I missing something?

I too was wondering how this saw was coming along. Well I'm glad to see you got your saw going !! Nothing like being frustrated chasing a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back