question for the craftsman/roper experts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run a McCulloch mount bar on mine. The tail was a bit too narrow and left part of the oil channel in the bar pad exposed. I fixed that problem by fabricating a custom inner bar plate. I cant seem to find the bar plate now or I would take pictures. I went back to the original bar on mine but switched it over to 3/8 chain. Mine is older than yours and has a hard nose bar so chain pitch doesnt matter.

The K041 mount bars oiled through the chain adjuster holes and had a 8.2mm bar slot. I would like to see a pict of the current bar that was on this saw ,it would really help a lot with coming up with an alternative. A Stihl A074 bar has the same 8.2 mm bar slot so maybe that is the one someone modified to fit. The oil delivery holes are the next question.

Thanks all of you. Ok here are some images of the oem bar. It has the 8.2mm wide slots. the center of the oil hole is basically 1/8" from inside edge of mount slot. Center of oil hole is 1.5" from end of bar. Again .325 pitch and .05 gauge. I was at the point that it seemed to make more sense to just change the drive. But after trying for an hour to remove the clutch I am back to needing a matching guide bar. It is ok to go 18" as I find no 17" in anything. This is the roper built craftsman and used the old D082 mount. Oregon tells me no one makes this setup any longer. So anyone that can offer the correct solution wins the prize of my most sincere gratitude for whatever that would be worth. And it does appear it oils through the adjuster holes

Attachments

• 20190424_090946.jpg
    20190424_090946.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 20190424_091038.jpg
    20190424_091038.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 20190424_091154.jpg
    20190424_091154.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
I looked at the Oregon 18" ko41 bar. Exact model number is 180GLGK041. This bar appears to be very close to correct and oils through the adjuster holes like the oem. It is an 18" but finding a chain is no problem. It is .325 pitch and .50 gauge as needed.

I do not have one to measure so not sure.

I think that K041 mount is about as close as you are going to get for an old saw with a NLA mount. It might fit perfectly or it might need a bit of adapting/grinding but it would work. Alan Farms Jr posted back in 2015 that it fit his saw perfectly so its the bar to try at this point.

I looked at the Oregon 18" ko41 bar. Exact model number is 180GLGK041. This bar appears to be very close to correct and oils through the adjuster holes like the oem. It is an 18" but finding a chain is no problem. It is .325 pitch and .50 gauge as needed.

I do not have one to measure so not sure.
So, it looks like you need a 0.325/0.050 bar with an 8mm slot.
Try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-180RN...ds=180RNBK041&qid=1556124588&s=gateway&sr=8-1

If you want to play around with other options:
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/search?q=guide bar

Here's my Craftsman/3.7 Roper,,, I have this Oregon bar on it...110572AN... If memory doesn't fail me, it uses the same .325 chain as my 3,3 Poulans... Actually the bar is worn on one of the Poulans, and IIRC correctly they are the same also(should work, at least),,, I'll find out soon as I will try to swap em...
Forgot to mention,,,, Its a 20" bar,, the Roper pulls it easily....

Attachments

• PB250003.JPG
    PB250003.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 12
i have a k041 mount Oregon bar supposed to deliver today. I will let you know how it works out. Hopefully it fits as others have stated.

This thread made me pull the Roper out to swap the new bar to a Poulan 3300... I swapped bars, and all is good with the Poulan,,, but now I need a bar/chain for the Roper!!!
I switched Roper drive gear to .325 when I got it, so it would match the Poulans,,, and just found a like new Homelite 18" bar/chain that fits the Roper!!! (this revelation is keeping with the OPs original question, I hope)... The bar is marked .325 and 72... I thought it came from a Homie 240 I got years ago, but Acres site says that would use .375LP B/C... so I'm stumped,,, but this Homie B/C fits my Roper also...
Just another option... I'll report back if I find a problem with this setup, but it seems to work fine...

Attachments

• PB260005.JPG
    PB260005.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 15
unfortunately Amazon delivered an empty box on Friday without my bar. This was crazy but the box had been taped closed on the top and the shipping label applied. It got to me empty and when I looked the bottom of the box had no tape. Never been taped. Amazon is supposed to deliver another but it has yet to arrive. Once I have it I will let you know. It is the 18" K041 mount .325 pitch .05 gage 72 drive link setup. I also ordered the chain to match. My Craftsman 3.7 17" came with .325 drive sprocket.

Ok all, thank you all so much for the help. My saw is alive again. Yes the k041 mount from Oregon will fit the roper built craftsman chainsaw. My particular saw is the 3.7 17" with a .325 picth, .05 gage and had a 71 tooth drive. My bar was shot. thanks to advice I got here I ordered the Oregon 180GLGK041 bar and 18" chain to match. these are .325 .05 72 drive teeth and fit not perfect but does fit on the mount for this saw. I have fired it up and did a little testing and she cuts like new.

Latest posts

Back