Question for the older gentlemen here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lead was added to prevent detonation...

But modern gas is garbage

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The older gas seemed to turn to a varnish like substance if left long enough and Old gas is the worst smell. An old home lite 410 leaked in my minivan. The only thing that worked to remove the odor, and I tried about every solvent made, was fire. Removed the carpet and burned it:)
New with ethanol sucks the water out of the air and Rusts the steel carb parts if left long enough.
2stroker

I realize all the issues with the ethanol gas. Back in the day when gas was leaded did it seem to improve, hinder or make no change in performance or parts life?
I worked for my Dad from 72 to about 86. All he used in his trucks and saws was Amoco High test no lead. It was called white gas back then. When he retired and I kept most of his saws, I started using Stihl Ultra and regular no lead. I still use his 100CC Homelite Super 1050 and I can't tell any difference. For 45+ years that has been my absolute favorite saw. I have a few of his smaller saws still and if I take the time to fiddle with them they run just like they did way back when. If I had a time machine and could run one as it was new, set it down, and run it as it is now, I may tell a difference. But, if I pick it up and it does the job, I'm happy.

Gasoline quality deteriorated in the mid 70s during the fuel "shortage" . According to Chevrolet, in order to get more gas from a barrel of oil, refineries began using heavier, less desirable fractions which would cause extreme carbon build up in intake manifolds and intake valves on the carbureted engines I worked on. The carbon would accumulate from fuel left in the intake after shutting the engine down. End result was severe hesitation when cold due to the carbon absorbing the fuel. We pulled intakes and had them blasted out, then used a tool that blasted the intake valves (closed) with walnut shells. Took less time than pulling the heads. That cleared up the problem.

The ethanol laced gas absorbs water vapor and turns the insides of aluminum carbs slimy white, deteriorated aluminum and rust on the steel screws inside the carbs. The old non ethanol laced gas did not harm the carbs it they were not left sitting for many years, the mix oil would become gummy when the gasoline evaporated.

I noticed that when I used gas to get the grease off of my hands,
it made me stupider.
Or is it "more stupid"??
Most of my life everyone I knew used gas to wash their hands. Not so much anymore. Is it proven its bad for you? What does it cause, neurological problems?

I have searched desperately and I cannot find a station that sells non-ethanol gas. Every pump I have looked at says may contain up to 10% ethanol. I’ve looked at those on line lists and when I get there the pumps say up the same thing. What can you do?

High octane simply means it has greater resistance to pre-ignition and detonation. It reality, the energy content of "hi test" gasoline is lower than lower octane fuels. Unless you have a saw with very high compression and/or a lot of timing advance there it little advantage to higher octane gasoline. Now, certain fuels like 100LL aviation gasoline l will keep longer than ordinary pump gas but in all likelihood you will have to retune your saw to get it to run correctly on the high octane stuff.

Mark

Non ethanol gas had (and still has) way better performance, better fuel economy/better mileage, and did not wreak aluminum parts and marine engines. Ethanol has less energy than pure gas does, but it has better octane. When California had 10% ethanol and Oregon did not,. I noticed the boost in performance as soon as I got gas here in Oregon. Also back in the day, they added ethanol and other stuff to oxygenate winter gas to lower air pollution in urban areas. It varied from about 4% to 6%. They still have winter and summer gas blends for preventing vapor lock in summer and better starting in winter. But its mostly 10% ethanol now in the US so they do not add anything for oxygenation like they used to.

As for lead in gas, lead made the gas smell great. Lead makes things taste and smell sweet. Hence why little kids and Romans wound up with lead poisoning. Also hyway patrol officers in the LA area had half the lethal dose of lead in their veins in the 1980s, which was what finally put an end to lead in gas. At first it was low lead, and now it is no lead. They added tetra ethyl lead to increase octane way back before my time. In my time they tried MTBE in gas in California as it is a byproduct of refining, and it also oxygenated gas and raised the octane. But MTBE is terrible stuff that leaks into ground water and it was a massive environmental mistake. In California, the air quality board was being sued by the water quality board. Go figure. It also smelled weird. We had it in California for quite a few years. The stupid regulators and politicians finally figured it out and it is banned for use in gas now.

In Oregon I can still buy premium non-ethanol gas, and that is what I run in all my 2-stroke engines. Ethanol is not good for aluminum or rubber parts. It also sucks up water.

Back