Questions about the Coral Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stexdevilsquid

Reaction score
Hi, new to the site. First off, i am a big fan of trees and try to plant as many as I can every year. I wish i would have known what i know now when i started, would have saved me a lot of money and wouldn’t have lost so many trees. Anyways, i was in Southern Cali to place my grandmother with my grandfather, and i noticed some great looking trees. I was told they were Corral Trees. After some research and i believe they are ERYTHRINA caffra. From what i have read about them, there’s 100 or so species and they are from hot desert climates. Well i live in South Texas, on a Sandy hill in the wild horse desert, so i was thinking they would do well. So my questions are, would they do well where i live which is zone9/10? How can i find them, if they would?
I will not plant them by anything that i would worry about them falling on, i have read about how they can collapse if not properly trimmed and grow too fast and get weak.
Thank you all for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, new to the site. First off, i am a big fan of trees and try to plant as many as I can every year. I wish i would have known what i know now when i started, would have saved me a lot of money and wouldn’t have lost so many trees. Anyways, i was in Southern Cali to place my grandmother with my grandfather, and i noticed some great looking trees. I was told they were Corral Trees. After some research and i believe they are ERYTHRINA caffra. From what i have read about them, there’s 100 or so species and they are from hot desert climates. Well i live in South Texas, on a Sandy hill in the wild horse desert, so i was thinking they would do well. So my questions are, would they do well where i live which is zone9/10? How can i find them, if they would?
I will not plant them by anything that i would worry about them falling on, i have read about how they can collapse if not properly trimmed and grow too fast and get weak.
Thank you all for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So your predominant flora is mesquite and cacti. You might want to check with your county extension agent. Importing trees into an area can many times create problems in local eco-systems, here is some info; it seems there is a species native to eastern Mexico http://www.phytoneuron.net/2015Phytoneuron/29PhytoN-ErythrinaCultivated.pdf

Latest posts

Back