Resuscitating a Power Mac 6/6A

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gjones8131

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am new to the forum, hoping I can find some help here.

I just inherited a McCulloch Power Mac 6 (or 6A not sure...) that I want to get up and running. Id love to revive this old chainsaw instead of dropping bills on something new and mediocre. For reference, this PM6 has been sitting untouched for approximately 10 years.

It appears my current problem is fuel delivery, namely that the fuel leaks everywhere. Based on some posts here, it seems the rubber nipple can shrink over time so you have no seal. Can anyone point me toward resources to find a replacement part or a good short term fix to tide me over?

Also wondering if anyone has suggestions for maintenance on this unit. I disassembled the casing and it all appears in good shape, not a speck of rust which is shocking and gives me hope :)

Thanks!

Greg

Well, managed to get it up and running which is a good sign.

Anyone have or know where to get a manual for a PM6? Need to figure out how to adjust the idle properly.

I have searched high and low and the rubber nipples for the fuel tank don't seem to be available anywhere. Glad you got yours to work. If it leaks and won't seal I used a trick I read online to seal mine. I used a small piece of thin wall brass tubing (1/8" I think) and pushed it down into the nipple. It makes it swell out just enough to seal again when you put the two halves together. Saw is running great and not leaking or sucking air. Hoping I don't have to take the case halves apart for any reason.

I also used a 1/8 stainless tubing to expand the rubber nipple based on something I saw in the forum here. Works like a charm!

Based on those pics I have the PM6 w/ the banana handle... Will be good to get it tuned in (thanks Ray!) and see how she does. Was billowing white smoke when I fired her up finally and died immediately when I released the throttle, so definitely needs a good tune up.

After setting for a while it certainly had some leftover oil in the carburetor and crankcase, probably the fuel tank as well after the gasoline evaporated. An early model like that will not have an automatic oil pump so there is no way for bar oil to find its way into the crankcase like later saws.

Mark

Use a plastic ketchup/mustard bottle to force feed fuel into the carb and let it sit overnight.
963c1b0ee1e2cc1ba7979f60dd78fa48.jpg

Very good chance it will start/run next morning. [emoji106]

Works as a temporary fuel tank also. Good engine will suck it darn near flat before it stalls. [emoji15]
04056c285f4f1da93fc4522f553e5eaa.jpg

After setting for a while it certainly had some leftover oil in the carburetor and crankcase, probably the fuel tank as well after the gasoline evaporated. An early model like that will not have an automatic oil pump so there is no way for bar oil to find its way into the crankcase like later saws.

Mark

good to know thanks.

Since it seems you have an early PM6, I have a favor to ask. Which direction is closed on the choke for this unit and could you relay the proper start up procedure for cold/warm engine? My unit is missing the choke knob so no clue which way is which. This is also the first saw i've owned so not super familiar with operating the choke on these... Managed the first start up by moving the choke back n forth and trying a few "settings" w/ some pliers.

Can anyone help confirm the proper chain size for the older PM6 with the 1/4 pitch and 16" bar? Gotten a bunch of conflicting info so wanted to sort it out...

Oregon customer service said the right chain has 80 drive links. Current chain on the saw has 78 links but fits kinda loose even at max tension. Also seen some 1/4 pitch blades at 72 drive links listed for a 16" saw.

Thanks!

Hello Mr. Ray Benson, just got an old Power Mac 6 running. I would love to have a workshop manual and if possible an operators manual too. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Up and running! Carb rebuild, new plug and fuel lines on PowerMac 6 (the older one without a brake). Cute little puppy and runs great. Thanks for the help.

Back