S.C. 252 taper lock pulley struggles

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAMMIXman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all. I don’t post here all the time, but I do a lot of reading. Hope this is in the right section.

I have a 2012 Vermeer 252. Lowest bearings went bad on last job of the year. At least one did. Just going to do them all. Middle shaft included. Don’t want it to go down next year, and I figure I can do all the work.

I’m struggling with the taper lock pulley on the middle shaft. Jackshaft? I’ve tried Pb blaster for a while, heat with propane, and I might be melting or burning some rubber damper I didn’t know was behind the taper lock. Doesn’t smell like wood chips or grease. Broken several sets of bolts when using an impact with the puller.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
29E7E65E-6101-4C46-A8E6-D98DD9BC92F7.jpeg 4C95BBE9-DFC5-4EC5-97D4-4EBC7A9D9462.jpeg 5A099F6F-1A14-44D1-B605-73C571CF38C4.jpeg

The bolts you've taken out of the bushing needs to go into the other holes. Drive them in evenly and the bushing will separate.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

The bolts you've taken out of the bushing needs to go into the other holes. Drive them in evenly and the bushing will separate.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400
I did break two of the originals trying to do just this. Then had to get them out of course. Local hardware store didn’t have any at all threaded all the way up to the head so I went straight to using the puller with the bolts they did have. I’ll have to source some new ones, needed to anyway. I’ll try again at separating them as seems to be the normal way to get it to break free. Just thought maybe I was misssing something.

Thank you Eq Broker

Back