Stihl MS-250 experienced a runaway lean condition and locked up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The orange parts are all fine. It is the white plastics that were damaged. The bar nut studs were ripped out of the white plastic when the tree fell. I found this part for $13 as mentioned above from the Hutzl site with the studs already installed.

As for the extra air to make it run lean, the bearing/crankcase seal leak makes sense. It never ran quite right after the binding incident that did all the damage so this makes the most sense.

So, if you could fix the saw for a new $13 white plastics body as well as a $26 engine, you still think I should pull the parts I want for the next saw and junk it? I mean it is a $300 new saw.

I figure I will tear it down and then make the final decision.

Conor

It's a clamshell so the case is not part of the engine. If you get new plastic case parts and a new engine it's practically a new saw. You should try to figure out what the actual problem was though - if it was the intake boot or some part external to the engine and you don't replace it then you could end up in the same boat again.

It gives you some idea how much profit Stihl makes on these - they're built pretty much like everyone else's clamshells.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271802279648?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
jTxoD.jpg

Complete and assembled for $27. Drop it in ;)

I haven't had time to tear this down yet but have pretty much given up on fixing it cheap using Chinese parts. I figure I would just be throwing money away. I can get a new saw right now for $300 and am probably going to just go that route.

Another possibility for the old clunker came up though... One of the local shops has a parts saw with good compression and an intact main housing for $65. It is a Stihl 025 which I understand is basically completely interchangeable with the MS-250. I do not know what else is included with this but figure I could make a running unit by combining the two saws. Correct me if I am wrong. $65 seems kinda high for a junk saw if you ask me but it likely has exactly the parts I need to make one working saw and I would trust used factory OEM parts over Chinese crap any day of the week. Is this a good or bad idea?

Conor

I haven't had time to tear this down yet but have pretty much given up on fixing it cheap using Chinese parts. I figure I would just be throwing money away. I can get a new saw right now for $300 and am probably going to just go that route.

Another possibility for the old clunker came up though... One of the local shops has a parts saw with good compression and an intact main housing for $65. It is a Stihl 025 which I understand is basically completely interchangeable with the MS-250. I do not know what else is included with this but figure I could make a running unit by combining the two saws. Correct me if I am wrong. $65 seems kinda high for a junk saw if you ask me but it likely has exactly the parts I need to make one working saw and I would trust used factory OEM parts over Chinese crap any day of the week. Is this a good or bad idea?

Conor
Pull the muffler and take a peek at the piston, no vertical lines means it's probably ok.

I think I will drop by the place when I have some time and have them pull the muffler. I have been busy lately so haven't bothered yet.

Conor

Back