Sachs Dolmar Happy Start system???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the MS250 C-BE you want, the other systems are not the same.

With the Husqvarna, and from what I could see on Brads video also the Dolmar system, the starter is somehow spring assisted, I don't know exactly how it works, but it's really similar to how an ordinary starter works: You have to pull fairly hard and fairly fast and then, but just then the spring does some magic and it suddenly becomes much easier to pull the cord the rest of the way. But if you can't begin the pull hard and fast enough these systems are no good and does nothing to help you.

The Stihl way is different: The pull cord works as if it wasn't attached to the fly wheel, instead all the power you invest in pulling the cord goes to wind up a spring. You can pull as slow as you like, and the resistance in the pull cord is ridiculously low. Only when the spring is wound up enough the spring engages the flywheel and starts your saw for you. It usually takes my saw two pulls to load the spring enough for one start attempt, and I need two start attempts with choke and one without when the saw is cold. That's five time pressing the primer and six slow, quite short and low resistance pulls - and you're sawing!

The only down side is that you're not looking very cool aside your cutting buddies as they're drop starting their 3120's and you're standing there slowly winding up that spring powered toy...

To put it into real life perspective: My 81 year old mother can start my 250 with Easy2Start using two fingers on her left hand, but she can't start her own Husqvarna trimmer that has the other "easy start" system even if it was to save her life.

The 250 is an outdated model - it lasted waaay to long as it is.....

...let's hope the 251 isn't a similar soft and spongy plastic thingy, but I have my doubts....

Last edited:
I guess so, but what's the point for normal users?

To the original topic, "happy start" used to be about the decomp valve, and nothing else.

"Easy start" is a different thing, as far as I know - and what this really is about....:msp_wink:

With all due respect to you my beloved Norwegian friend, the original poster was looking for information on the Dolmar Easy Start but confused the terminology with the old Happy Start from the earlier models.

I did my best to illustrate the Easy Start with the videos I posted.
Others were intent on making sport of the Happy Start moniker and I simply tried to explain how truly appropriate that term actually was.

Both of the systems work very well and are a godsend to broken down old buzzards like myself.

Mike

I know that may not be the most masculine term ever used, but you go ahead and get yourself a double dose of "torn rotator cuff" and heat your house solely with wood, and you will find it being very appropriate!!!

Mike

Mike - I was just amused by the term, probably has a nice name in the German, but the translation was not checked by the US marketing department.
And I do understand about shoulder pain and aging. Looked at the Stihl system as a possible choice for my dad. My 9 year old could pull it quite easily, I would buy it, and may have to someday.
So, no offense meant.
Steve

Found a Dolmar (I guess Sachs is out) dealer today with a full inventory. Was not impressed with the PS420s starting - seemed a bit better than my old Jonserad 471 but nowhere near the Stihl system. The interesting thing was that both 510 and 5015 started A LOT easier than the 402. Turns out the bigger saws have both the spring assist, and the Happy Start compression release.

However none were gentle enough that I want to bet my rehabbed shoulder on their mercy. So looks like its back to the Stihl MS250 C-BE. Though its tempting to use it as an excuse to buy the 5015 which looks like a real nice rig but more than I need.

Though reading through the newer posts on this thread, I wonder if I was pulling on the 420 right to get full aadvantage. The guy who was demonstrating it was yanking, like a regular saw, not easing it by as described here, and in the videos.

My Dolmar 5105 is a terror to yank on it. Almost like starting the 7900 without the compression release?

For it to work as "Easy Start" on the Dolmar, it has to be done like Brad's daughter did it in the video.

The 250 is an outdated model - it lasted waaay to long as it is.....

...let's hope the 251 isn't a similar soft and spongy plastic thingy, but I have my doubts....

Well, even if that was the universal consensus it just doesn't matter since if there's just one model, from one manufacturer that provides the above all else most important feature - then that is the best saw on the market!

But if the OP is to get a 251 instead, make sure the Easy2Start really works the same way as on the 250. I was looking for a new trimmer for my mother last summer and of course wanted a Stihl with the Easy2Start feature, since Husqvarnas corresponding feature just doesn't help her at all. But it turned out that on the Stihl trimmers, even if they are said to have "Easy2Start", they actually have the other system that's similar to Husqvarnas. I don't know, but they might as well have changed it for the 251 as well, and if that's the case it misses it's target and gets totally pointless.

Happy Start? Seriously, a chainsaw with a "happy start"? Might be a nice feature, but "happy start"? Is that really what they call it?:jester: When your finished cutting, is then a "happy stop"?

And your having a problem with that "Captain Crunch"?

Latest posts

Back