Sachs Dolmar Wankel KMS-4 rotary

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Africanut

Africanut

Hi new to the board. Was wondering if any of ya'll have any experience with the Wankel saw. Acquired this puppy from my grandad back in the middle 70's. Used it a little in the 80's but it will wear your %^& out trying to use it for clearing brush and such because of it's weight. It has unreal power for simply cross-cutting logs and such in one place where carrying the saw is not an issue. Anyway was feeling nostalgic the other day and saw it setting on the shelf where it has been for about 15 years and decided to "warm" it up. The saw was put up dry last. Filled it up with some fresh 50-1 and it cranked after about 10 pulls but only for about 10 seconds or so. I discovered that the split tanks gaskets had dry rotted and the filter line in the tank was disintegrated. Tooke saw apart to permatex the gasket and replaced fuelline in tank and loop thru to carb--checked diaphram in carb while I was at it and put it back together. Now saw runs for about 30 -45 seconds and shuts down. Deciding whether to sell saw or keep it. Small engine guys round here just laugh when asked about working on it. I did pull lo-hi jets out and chemtool the tips and replaced them to approx same number of turns. Boy while it is running it is amazing. I had forgotten how much raw power it had and and no vibration..Thanks in advance.......

Jacob J.
The Sachs KMS-4 is a desirable saw to collectors. As you've already found out, parts are extremely scarce for them and by and large a person ends up fabricating what they need to keep them running. It sounds like yours may need additional fuel system work. I would say it's well worth investing the time in.

thomas72

thomas72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice saw. I would love to be able to buy it from you, but I am sure I could not afford it. You should have used seal all to seal the tank not permatex. I am curious to how much you want for it. I will send you a pm.

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
You need to do a search on here for the ksm-4. Extremely collectable item, pristine nib examples have bumped 2000.00, used saws like your depending on condition may still bring 700-1000.00, you need to do a little digging before deciding what to do with it. There are many members here that would give there left one to attain that saw. It is considered by Dolmar guys to be the holy grail of saws.

Work Saw Collector

Work Saw Collector

GTG Coffee Maker
I got to see and hear one run at my GTG a few weeks back. :rock: It was a nice looking saw, not many hours on it. I don't think a crazy offer was going to get him to come off that saw. :msp_biggrin: Member Bigjohnston.

heimannm
One thing you notice right away is that not many of the KMS-4 saws that are still around are worn out. In many respects the same could be said of the McCulloch BP-1, they were purchased and used a bit, then the owner generally went on to something that was a little better suited to "daily driving".

Prices for collectable saws can go all over the place, never seem to go up if I am interested in selling but they certainly climb when I am interested in buying. The KMS-4 is certainly a desireable collectors piece, and any saw that can be used should be run from time to time. As JJ has pointed out, that saw is worth some time and investment on your part to make it a runner and enjoy. If you decide to move it along one day, you will no doubt be able to find a lot of interested parties right here on AS, add my name to the list as well please.

Mark

Africanut

Africanut

Thanks for the info guys--I used the permetex rated for gasoline contact and not much of it mainly to touch up where the gasket had separated. I had heard that they where sort of a collectors thing. After cleaning the tips of the needles with chem-tool the saw ran considerably longer but I think I don't have the settings just right. Thanks for the info guys.

Brian VT

Brian VT

Addicted to ArboristSite
I've heard to be sure not to run gas with ethanol in those.
It may ruin the wipers ? I believe 100LL is recommended.

Pain in the butt saws. I wouldn't mind, though.
I've got some nice, modern, Stihls I would trade for it.

Last edited:

w8ye

Addicted to ArboristSite
The saw looks nice

181984d1304047698-dsc_0001-jpg

181985d1304047711-dsc_0002-jpg

181986d1304047726-dsc_0003-jpg

Africanut

Africanut

Got carb rebuild kit and installed. Starts on 2nd pull. Still needs some fine tuning on hi-lo settings, and the linkage arm needs to be tweeked because saw doesn't fall down far enough on rpm's to let the clutch kick out and stall. Runs on high side like a champ. Blade is dull.

Backo

Backo

Jacob J. "If you ever want to trade that for a large, modern professional saw, let me know. :)"

I have one and I'm willing to exchange/sell it.

Contact me...

BR

Bill G

Bill G

ArboristSite King
Jacob J. "If you ever want to trade that for a large, modern professional saw, let me know. :)"

I have one and I'm willing to exchange/sell it.

Contact me...

BR

I see you have dug up a old thread. I as well as JJ are interested in buying or trading for the KMS4

Backo

Backo

I see you have dug up a old thread. I as well as JJ are interested in buying or trading for the KMS4

Yes, it is old one but...

Since you post it and not send me PM, why not continuoue here;

I attached photos, but if you want, I can also make some new photos or even a movie with my cell...

I will do copy/paste from one of my private messages:
I have to be honest with you. It runs, but not as it should. When it gets hot, it doesn't work anymore until it gets cold again. I guess problem is coil - which I can't get where I live. But, you can enjoy it's sound, for arround 5 minutes.

Please also note, I'm from Slovenija EUROPE - because of send expences.

I rethinked and I'm more into selling than trading. Price would be 400€ (Google sais that0s somwhere arround 543$) but we have to check what sending costs are and make an agreement about them.

I'm also thinking since yesterday, how to make a deal, we (me as seller and person who I will sell it to) would be both safe - so you get chain saw as you want and I get money. Thread like mine could easily be Nigerain fault.

BR
Vasja

Attachments

• merged.JPG
    merged.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 72
hseII

hseII

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes, it is old one but...

Since you post it and not send me PM, why not continuoue here;

I attached photos, but if you want, I can also make some new photos or even a movie with my cell...

I will do copy/paste from one of my private messages:
I have to be honest with you. It runs, but not as it should. When it gets hot, it doesn't work anymore until it gets cold again. I guess problem is coil - which I can't get where I live. But, you can enjoy it's sound, for arround 5 minutes.

Please also note, I'm from Slovenija EUROPE - because of send expences.

I rethinked and I'm more into selling than trading. Price would be 400€ (Google sais that0s somwhere arround 543$) but we have to check what sending costs are and make an agreement about them.

I'm also thinking since yesterday, how to make a deal, we (me as seller and person who I will sell it to) would be both safe - so you get chain saw as you want and I get money. Thread like mine could easily be Nigerain fault.

BR
Vasja
I didn't know Kanye was in to chainsaws.

Yes it's an old thread, but a funny post.

ac66

Hi new to the board. Was wondering if any of ya'll have any experience with the Wankel saw. Acquired this puppy from my grandad back in the middle 70's. Used it a little in the 80's but it will wear your %^& out trying to use it for clearing brush and such because of it's weight. It has unreal power for simply cross-cutting logs and such in one place where carrying the saw is not an issue. Anyway was feeling nostalgic the other day and saw it setting on the shelf where it has been for about 15 years and decided to "warm" it up. The saw was put up dry last. Filled it up with some fresh 50-1 and it cranked after about 10 pulls but only for about 10 seconds or so. I discovered that the split tanks gaskets had dry rotted and the filter line in the tank was disintegrated. Tooke saw apart to permatex the gasket and replaced fuelline in tank and loop thru to carb--checked diaphram in carb while I was at it and put it back together. Now saw runs for about 30 -45 seconds and shuts down. Deciding whether to sell saw or keep it. Small engine guys round here just laugh when asked about working on it. I did pull lo-hi jets out and chemtool the tips and replaced them to approx same number of turns. Boy while it is running it is amazing. I had forgotten how much raw power it had and and no vibration..Thanks in advance.......

hi,

a close friend of mine worked for wankel and later nsu, he has a collection of rotary powered equipment/vehicles - if you have specific q's I may be able to pass them on to him

cheers

Latest posts