saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spin101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice on which saws are best and what size is mostly used for tree removal???

If it says "Husqvarna" on it, it's the best. Too many varibles on your second question. Need to match the size of the saw to the size of the tree.

jp hallman said:
If it says "Husqvarna" on it, it's the best. Too many varibles on your second question. Need to match the size of the saw to the size of the tree.
Quoted for truth.

I'd expect you'll probally have these two saws in your removal collection 346xp with 15" bar and 372xp with 20" bar.

Probably bare basics are a good climbing saw. If you wnat the best most here will tell you to buy the MS200T, you could go a lil cheaper and get a 192T if you will only be using it to cut small stuff and you don't expect quite as much out of it. Husky and Echo also make decent top handles. You could ditch the top handle idea and just get a compact tail handle saw like a Stihl MS210 or even MS170, or Husky equivalent. After that, I only know Stihls very well, but you'll wnat something in the 50-60cc range, which for Stihl would be either a MS260 or MS361 and then something over 3.8 cubes, maybe an MS440 or 460. You probably don't really need the 660 or bigger unless you are cutting down some massive western conifers or grandaddy live oaks in the east. Bear in mind, if you prefer Husky, Jonsred, Echo, and some will say Sachs-Dolmar also make a quality saw and they have offerings in this range you might want to check out. But I strongly suspect you'll wnat your climbing saw to be an MS200T or older 020T. Good luck,
J.D.

Man did you just open a very large can of worms.......Go with a husky or jonsered at least you can get parts to interchange IF you ever need to .The stihls are a decent saw just dont ever expect any interchange between parts. Your equipment is only as good to you as you are to it. Size well size does matter and its got to be matched to your specific needs.

I've learned that ease of replacement can drive what you purchase. Husky, if destroyed can be ordered new within 24 hours on the internet. Others cannot. Once in service, all equipment that can be replaced within 24 hours is expendable. Not compromising personal safety, of course.

Back