Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's also a guy in Italy who has taken that screw jack idea and used it for a felling cone to replace conventional plastic wedges when you need lift on a leaning tree. It takes a 3/8" (I think) socket bit for your impact driver of choice. Pretty neat if you don't like pounding on wedges and don't mind carrying it and an impact driver around with you. It is on my "when I've got $ to burn" shopping list.

Speaking of wood , it stopped raining around lunch so I went over to my buddies place to scrounge up what I thot would be the last load or close to it .
So I backed the trailer into the back yard and started to load

5w6WuP6.jpg

ACLBrcD.jpg

VEDLZUy.jpg

But , while I was loading ,,,

DDG5HOo.jpg

More wood , that shmoaky oak kinda stuff was being cut down so into the trailer it went :)
They ran out of steam soon after so I had to make up the load with some nice spruce before I went home :)

ohkwDSf.jpg

Twas a good afternoon , oak , yellow birch , sugar maple , red maple , a stick of white birch and some black spruce :)

Sounds like the entire Minneapolis area is shut down. First ice then up to 18 inches of snow coming. Glad I am not down there.
Steve, you need to hold up in the shop and get to work on that 1050. I bought another one about a month ago and it is freaking awesome. I cut down a little Oak at my friends house, just to try it out. All my friend could say was "man that thing is loud"! All the saw could say was "bigger tree". I'm supposed to take down a couple 30+ inch Oaks for him Monday, but I think they are calling for rain, and I pulled my back again, we will see, Joe.

farmer steve, we have them all over the place here now. I go to the big ones 8 or 10 times a year, the produce auctions are 3 times a week, firewood/ hay/ feed ones are usually every 2 weeks. And they really don't sell firewood it's more of a give away at any of the ones I've seen. The bigger one is 50 miles from me so not worth hauling the wood but it usually only sells for $90 to $120 a full cord cut to 16". Some is decent wood and some is punky crap too though.
I had a really crappy day today, weather was horrible so they had the whole auction inside the buildings on big screens with internet bidding also. Place was packed and worse yet my wife decided to go with me and that never goes well. I dropped a low low ball big on an old outdoor boiler.. $75 and the crowd fell silent.. Well everyone except my wife. We had a 3 hour drive home at 40 mph on freezing rain and slush covered roads. It gave her lots of time to repetitively ask me WTF I was thinking when I bid. I kept cussing under my breath saying "never again will I take her to an auction".
It's all good though, I'm online bidding on a few things at another sale ( just up the road from JustJeff's place) . I told her I'm surfing ****. Green means I'm winning but it's early in the sale.
IMG_20180414_134743.jpg IMG_20180414_201311.jpg

Steve, you need to hold up in the shop and get to work on that 1050. I bought another one about a month ago and it is freaking awesome. I cut down a little Oak at my friends house, just to try it out. All my friend could say was "man that thing is loud"! All the saw could say was "bigger tree". I'm supposed to take down a couple 30+ inch Oaks for him Monday, but I think they are calling for rain, and I pulled my back again, we will see, Joe.
I was just moving it in the storage unit the other day and the damn box broke open and all of the bolts fell out. Luckily they fell into my chain bin sitting right below it so they are all safe but I will need to re-sort.

I was just moving it in the storage unit the other day and the damn box broke open and all of the bolts fell out. Luckily they fell into my chain bin sitting right below it so they are all safe but I will need to re-sort.
Good luck, if you get that one running it will make you smile from Minnesota all the way to Florida, Joe.

That looks like a few pennies in that pic lol

Hmmm, purchase price, depreciation, running costs, labour, moving it between jobs, profit or loss on sale compared to book value, carry the one, adjust for inflation, divide by three ounces of hope, reduce to net present value at a beta-linked IROR and...
It's only 3500 m3 of spruce.
What are you waiting for?

That is not a day dream, that is a nightmare, takes all the fun out of it! It is like getting wood that is already cut, I just won't take it!!!
Yeah, job satisfaction would be terrible, I'd hate coming to work, get depressed, get sick, die early and assorted bastards would squabble over my meagre estate. Thanks for the reality check. There oughta be a law against such machinery, even just on public mental health grounds.

Latest posts

Back