Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that bike. Been thinking of picking up a bigger bike. Something dual sport or super moto. View attachment 646383My little hoolgan ride is fun to rip around town on but I want more.
Yea I looked at those little 125's but not enough function. I already have a Harley. Got pavement covered. I need a dualsport.

I had a Yamaha XS1100. It scooted right along. Dubbed the XS 11 because it was the first bike to crack into the 11’s in the 1/4 mile. Had a lot of fun on it but had to sell it a few years ago when propane price spiked during the worst winter ever. That’s when I got the woodstove and subsequently became a scrounger! One day I’ll ride again, one day..!

Bit more Black hat auction scrounging yesterday. Bought a couple of loads of "stuff". Bought this motor for a new vertical splitter build then bought 82 boxes of drywall compound for $2 a box, sold it 10 minutes after I bid on it, delivered it today and picked up enough profit to pay for the motor. The other stuff I bought I will resell to pay for my time at the sale and fuel. ( that's what I told her anyway) Tomorrow morning I'll be heading south to Springfield for another big sale, wood chippers, snow blades and a few other things are on the menu. Supposed to be a heck of a terrible weather day, just the kind I like. I wear the gear and tough it out to get bargains.
IMG_20180412_134331.jpg IMG_20180412_193223.jpg IMG_20180412_193228.jpg IMG_20180413_143555.jpg

Anyone want a cheap, new Cannon 18" supermini 3/8LP picco C1 (k095+3005) mount bar? Left over from my 241 days. I think the shipping to USA is about $25, a bit cheaper to Oz. PM me if so. I think there's a .325 pitch spare nose for it too if you run that instead of 3/8LP.

Feul lines were toast in the 011. Replaced. Checked P/C, good. Compression felt good. Carb looked good. It will fire and run for a couple seconds after choke pop, but wont stay running. Smokes pretty bad like its really rich but wont run again until choke is on for one pull, then turn back off, pull, run smoky for a couple seconds then quit. On the saw it says "L=1 turn" and "H=1 turn". I sort of assumed that initial setting would be lean so I started with both at 1 1/4 turns. To rich? Anybody work on the "white case" 011's?

Bit more Black hat auction scrounging yesterday. Bought a couple of loads of "stuff". Bought this motor for a new vertical splitter build then bought 82 boxes of drywall compound for $2 a box, sold it 10 minutes after I bid on it, delivered it today and picked up enough profit to pay for the motor. The other stuff I bought I will resell to pay for my time at the sale and fuel. ( that's what I told her anyway) Tomorrow morning I'll be heading south to Springfield for another big sale, wood chippers, snow blades and a few other things are on the menu. Supposed to be a heck of a terrible weather day, just the kind I like. I wear the gear and tough it out to get bargains.
View attachment 646463 View attachment 646464 View attachment 646465 View attachment 646466
those "HAT" produce auctions were started here back in the 80's. seems they pop up wherever theres a hat population. the 2 i go to weekly to buy and sell produce are probably multi-million dollar operations. i go to their equipment auctions too. i see by the sign out front they have a hay/straw auction just like ours. do you know if they sell firewood at the hay auction?

Don't know the configuration of that saw but the things I can think of would be crank seal leak, fuel diaphragm, have an impulse line? Could it suck bar oil into the crank causing both the leak and the smoke?
I checked rubbers in the carb, they look good. It doesn't have an impulse line but the oil pump is not a gear driven oil pump. Its an impulse pump but if it doesn't have an impulse line I dont understand how its working. Or not working. The little bit of time I did have it running there was no oil comming from the bar port. Not sure about crank seals. I haven't got that far yet.

Hey guys.

Haven't been on here much in a while as it has been "one of those months". Finally got out of Florida which was about a month behind schedule. Got up here yesterday afternoon and luckily missed most of that storm that blew through the midwest yesterday. I did drive through rain and a bit of light hail in Wisconsin and heavy hail had just hit the Madison area right before I drove through.

Have had more than a few issues with things as of late with the most recent being my adopted mother (who I do not have a great relationship with) having several complications following a broken hip.

Sorry to sound like a downer just wanted to let y'all know why I haven't been around here much lately.

We have about a foot plus of snow in the woods up here with the sunny hillsides are starting to get bare. The lake is looking close to a record late ice out as there is about 3' of clear ice and the spots that normally open in early march are still frozen tight. I will be looking forward to getting in the woods to start making wood once the snow resides a bit more.

We are currently getting that storm. Started with rain to freezing rain and now snow all day. Supposed to get more freezing rain tomorrow. Yuck! The upside of freezing rain is usually free firewood! Anyways no wood related activity for me save stuffing it in the stove. Off to cook fish in the snow for our church’s annual fish fry.

We are currently getting that storm. Started with rain to freezing rain and now snow all day. Supposed to get more freezing rain tomorrow. Yuck! The upside of freezing rain is usually free firewood! Anyways no wood related activity for me save stuffing it in the stove. Off to cook fish in the snow for our church’s annual fish fry.

It's a hell of a storm.

30713146_10213764721490541_782019493407752192_n.png

My 011 needs to be leaned a bit with temp changes ECT... But it will run even dripping fuel out the exhaust. I believe that carb may have an acceletor pump. I think if that leaks it will flood like that.

@HarleyT and some of the Stihl guys would know more.

Latest posts

Back