Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A discussion document put out late last year indicated some changes are afoot for our NZ building code to explicitly include certain "alternative species" as viable structural timber. Fastigata is included, provided it is treated. Appearance doesn't matter so much for structural framing, so the sap pockets won't be too much of a visual issue, but I wonder how it stacks up in terms of stress grading with those pockets in it. Still, it would be a welcome increase in the value of the wood if it can legally be used for lumber without requiring producer statements. As you know, those big brown barrels hold a fair whack of lumber in 'em.

I'm contemplating breaking a long-standing rule of mine of no debt-financed equipment purchases. I'd like a mill now, before I can afford to pay 100% cash for one. Might have to borrow a wee bit of $ to get the mill I want and can then get stuck into all the logs I've got scattered all over the top of the North Island. In just one small gulley I have to clear there'd be 40+m3 of lumber in the Fastigata alone. Most of the trees are .8m-1.4m DBH.

Not to mention a bunch of downed gums nearby I am not 100% sure what they are but some are screaming "slab me".
View attachment 645587

If you have trees ready for the slabbing (and customers begging for it) you can justify cutting a corner on the financing of the mill with the rapid payback. Maybe this is the exception that proves the rule?

I believe fastigata is quite well regarded as a structural timber, could be very nice if you have access to a lot of it.

I never really understood that saying "old enough to bleed, old enough to butcher" until now.

View attachment 645527

This is E.fastigata, and is loaded with pockets of red gum/sap. Interlocked wavy grain made it not pleasant to split. Trouble is there is about 200m3 of split Fastigata firewood in standing, compact form to butcher next Summer.

View attachment 645529
If the sap runs out like that, do you have to use nails, or just stick the drywall on? :)

Took my home ported Jred/Tecomec 2065 out today. 1 tank almost finished off my elm. Really love this saw. Does everything I ask of it. My 359 was close.. But the 2065 just does it so well in the bigger wood!

Still have the widest 6' left at the bottom. Will get that with the 038 but need to get some fuel.

Fair enough that it bugs you since it's all your fault :) :laugh:.
Leave it up to me to boldy screw up where no man has screwed up before. Only mitigation I can offer up is that you were given the option of buying my barely used 261 all those months ago and you turned it down. In closing, nah nah na na nah.

Leave it up to me to boldy screw up where no man has screwed up before. Only mitigation I can offer up is that you were given the option of buying my barely used 261 all those months ago and you turned it down. In closing, nah nah na na nah.
Sometimes you just need two like buttons, one is not enough, Joe.

18 & 20" B&C's left over from when I had the now sold 241. Love the chain. If only I could find a way around chip clearance in 20" and longer in most woods! I wonder though, if I should keep a 18" picco set-up for when felling and limbing small trees, which does happen from time to time, just not with the regularity it used to.

Cowboy, what bar do you have on Limmy???

Limby wears a 25 inch bar which is enough for most of what I cut especially if I start over the top a bit. I've cut a few big trees where a 50 inch bar would be useful but that's uncommon. I've thought about a 32 inch bar but there haven't been too many situations where it would make things dramatically easier so I haven't got around to it.

Yeah but I've heard the 261 is no good, and that the 241 is where it's at :innocent:

Love the chain. If only I could find a way around chip clearance in 20" and longer in most woods!
One problem with Picco on longer bars is that the lighter weight components ('chassis') don't hold up. .325 narrow kerf fits in between 3/8 low profile chain and full sized .325 and 3/8 chain.

The newer Oregon and Husky versions are getting good reviews, but do not know of any in full chisel.

Philbert

I love my little MMWS 261 Ver II saw with 18" 3/8 square filed. It punches well above it's weight. I'll often pull it out for limbing, then end up using it for much more!
I think it's time to find a new 20" Tsumura light and tough bar for it. But, last time I tried to find such a bar it was tricky to find in .063 gauge.

G'day troops,

I cut a bit more out at the farm this morning. I'm already sorted with a bit to spare so I'm cutting wood now for fun, exercise and to help out a few people. I ran into the farmer on the way out and while he was happy for me to cut some more, he also has a couple of other people who are interested in some wood so I'm making today the last trip so that I stay in the good books for next year. But my mate Dave could use a bit more so I got one last load for him.

11th Apr 3.jpg

I cut this small dead peppermint and the branch in the background along with a few other odds and ends about the place, leaving the better logs there. There were a few rubbishy bits towards the base but it still burns. All 460 action today.

11th Apr 2.jpg

About 1.5 cubes all up, including a few bits chucked in the back of the suby. Mostly ready to burn but a few bits need a few months drying time.

11th Apr 1.jpg

Dropped that off and then went to work.

:)

Back