Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another ash falls victim to EAB. The tree used to be IN the woods but the gas company came through & cleared a big hole in the woods exposing weak trees to the wind. Looks like there are several trees that will fall when the wind shifts from the north in a couple weeks. And its right across the street. I had to walk a hole in the brush with the Husqvarna 545FR clearing saw to get to the trunk/stump. Ran out of day to start a chainsaw. I'll start on limbing/bucking tomorow then drag the splitter across the street & split on-site. Then bring splits over to the stack and done. Got to use my new Technical forestry helmet I got at Bunyan. Helmet/facescreen/earcups/necksplash. Good helmet. Just hot. 88 Murkan here today. Way hotter than normal.
That leaner looks like a good place to practice the bore cut.

Yep it's a great Day, I'm just watching the pre race action at the moment, I live 40mins from Bathurst but I'd rather watch it on TV to be honest.
Gotta feel for David Reynolds. Couldn't believe the team head honcho left him in the car - he was clearly goneburger.
Had to laugh at the reception ScottyM got from the crowd for coming third. As a Kiwi, I wouldn't want or expect it any other way from a bunch of drunk Aussie petrol heads :)

Gotta feel for David Reynolds. Couldn't believe the team head honcho left him in the car - he was clearly goneburger.
Had to laugh at the reception ScottyM got from the crowd for coming third. As a Kiwi, I wouldn't want or expect it any other way from a bunch of drunk Aussie petrol heads :)
Yeah Davey had it won, shame he cramped up and couldn't continue to fight. Not sure who makes the decisions but he was under the pump even before he got in the car going by what he was saying before the race, apparently he hadn't been sleeping well and was exhausted from all the media duties he had to participate in, I'll bet next year will be different in that regard, they will make sure he's good to go. Not sure what happened with the final stages as I fell asleep after getting stuck into 30pk of Iron Jack Heavies:drinking::innocent:

he was under the pump even before he got in the car going by what he was saying before the race, apparently he hadn't been sleeping well and was exhausted from all the media duties he had to participate in
Lowndes deserved the win. So much experience meant he handled the whole week better. Nice to see him grab another Bathurst win before he retires from full-time racing. A bit disappointed in SVG/Bamber's race. I thought leading into it they had the talent to pull it off. Liked the way Bamber kept dragging the car back up towards the front after various issues - he's a class act and if he gets any serious time in supercars will be a force in future races.
After a manic few months of full-on work, I did absolutely nothing yesterday but lay on the couch watching the racing the whole day. Bloody good way to waste a day.

I see that's the end of Ford-factory supported Falcons and next year Ford will have Mustangs. There might be a few on this forum interested to see how they go.

My parents gave me some cash for my birthday to buy myself something I wanted. The rules are that I can't use it to buy groceries or pay bills, it actually has to be a present for myself, funded by them. So what would a scrounger feel like getting, especially if he has quite a lot of wattle popsicle sticks on the property?

19th Sep 5.jpg

I hadn't seen one before and I was browsing some arborist and milling equipment stockists. It'll hold all sorts of logs from a bit over an inch to about 8 inches but I'd rather roll those. For 3 to 5 inch wood though, it is quite nifty and it'll hold all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. This was pittosporum. @Jeffkrib told me that it is rubbish in the heater and I can confirm that after burning a small dry bit. So it can go in the firepit.

19th Sep 3.jpg
I'm not sure I'd go out and buy one with my own money, but I was happy to go and get one with someone else's. Handy for this stuff.

8th Oct 1.jpg

Lowndes deserved the win. So much experience meant he handled the whole week better. Nice to see him grab another Bathurst win before he retires from full-time racing. A bit disappointed in SVG/Bamber's race. I thought leading into it they had the talent to pull it off. Liked the way Bamber kept dragging the car back up towards the front after various issues - he's a class act and if he gets any serious time in supercars will be a force in future races.
After a manic few months of full-on work, I did absolutely nothing yesterday but lay on the couch watching the racing the whole day. Bloody good way to waste a day.

I see that's the end of Ford-factory supported Falcons and next year Ford will have Mustangs. There might be a few on this forum interested to see how they go.

Yeah Lowndes is a class act alright, very much in the same mould as Brockie.

That leaner looks like a good place to practice the bore cut.
Funny you say that. I thought the exact same thing but its not very big. I dont know if theres room for a face cut, bore and trigger. Its cherry. The tree curves back in toward itself. It doesnt have that lean all the way up.

My parents gave me some cash for my birthday to buy myself something I wanted. The rules are that I can't use it to buy groceries or pay bills, it actually has to be a present for myself, funded by them. So what would a scrounger feel like getting, especially if he has quite a lot of wattle popsicle sticks on the property?

View attachment 678804

I hadn't seen one before and I was browsing some arborist and milling equipment stockists. It'll hold all sorts of logs from a bit over an inch to about 8 inches but I'd rather roll those. For 3 to 5 inch wood though, it is quite nifty and it'll hold all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff. This was pittosporum. @Jeffkrib told me that it is rubbish in the heater and I can confirm that after burning a small dry bit. So it can go in the firepit.

View attachment 678805
I'm not sure I'd go out and buy one with my own money, but I was happy to go and get one with someone else's. Handy for this stuff.

View attachment 678806

I got given this from a mate, it's quite handy to cut from, I just back the ute up to it and drag the logs straight onto it and cut them, makes life a lot easier on me. I'm going to do a few mods to it to make it a little better to use but for now it will do.

DjoycfIh.jpg

I keep looking at both those type of saw horse, although currently a pile of 6 pallets makes a good height bucking table and holds the slightly larger logs I get well enough. The top pallet gets chewed up after a while, but then goes for kindling.

The other type I'd get if dealing with lots of zogger poles, is the pair of steel 'Y's that you spike into the ground and then fill with poles.

So last week's zogger wood scrounge -- I split the larger pieces and got it stacked this past weekend. Not only did it contain locust, but it also contained some box elder (red streaks in the grain) and some elm (stringy as all f**k and smelled like rotting pu$$y with a hint of unwashed for a week ass).

So last week's zogger wood scrounge -- I split the larger pieces and got it stacked this past weekend. Not only did it contain locust, but it also contained some box elder (red streaks in the grain) and some elm (stringy as all f**k and smelled like rotting pu$$y with a hint of unwashed for a week ass).
iv done some things as a younge man I'm not proud of but dont think iv ever met a girl that could meet those standards. The fact you can compare it to these things makes me wonder about your private life.

iv done some things as a younge man I'm not proud of but dont think iv ever met a girl that could meet those standards. The fact you can compare it to these things makes me wonder about your private life.

Not to wonder or worry. I do have standards and never got so drunk that I didn't know what I was doing. There is a big difference between meeting a girl and meating a girl.

Those metal horses are awesome, but I fear I would hit them too many times with the chain!

Yeah the mods I want to do should go a long way to making it a lot better, I will put a lump of wood across the horizontal bar and extend the height of the v shapedholders so the chain should be pretty safe then I would think.

Latest posts

Back