Seasoned?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is raining again...
I was trying to find out how much rain we have had in the past three week, but no luck.
I'm guessing well over five inches.
What I did find for our zip code is that we get about 36" of rain annually, 71 days of measurable precipitation and 163 days of sun, per Sperling's Best Places which notes average climate, cost of living, school ratings, crime rates, etc. and something like 60" of snow here annually as well.
Covering the top of the wood here has proven to be worth the effort the last couple years.

Sand very interesting. As I was looking around it seems like you folks get consistent humidity as we do not. The winter of 77-78 we received 90'' of precipitation with 3'' of snow. Then the following year we received 120'' of snow at once with 49'' of precipitation. Then we thought we would have an average in 83, but we received 258'' of snow spread out over 6 weeks with 50'' of precipitation. In 98 we received 85'' of precipitation with 1' of snow. Now for the fall of 2017 we had not any winter with average in the 60's. For the last four months we have had 23'' of precipitation with the temps in the 40's and 50's. Today foggy and misty with a few puddles. What would you think, but we do not have a problem getting our wood dry. We only have mushrooms every five or ten years. Thanks

I don't think rain does much to firewood, it's not like it's a sponge. It'll slow the drying time a bit, since the rain has to dry off before the wood will dry.

Whether it's worth covering or not all depends on cost and how long you can wait.

I have some scrap sheets of rubber roofing membrane I'm going to try out, it's stuff that I can get for free, would be thrown out otherwise. It's maybe heavy enough the wind won't blow it away. A 3x4 piece is probably 15-20lbs.

Back