Seeking advice on woodsplitter for home using 16 cord annually

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For $12K he could get a super split and a very nice and adequate hydraulic splitter with a log lift for the big stuff, probably with money left over. I have both and it is very convenient. 16 cord per year is not very much, not enough to justify a $12K hydro splitter IMO

Not a bad idea.

He could get something like this to turn the rounds into manageable size chunks...

https://ruggedmade.com/37-ton-horiz...MIl-aL0ony5wIViZWzCh2DWQ4mEAQYASABEgIU3PD_BwE

Then a Supersplit to chew through the chunks.

After, he could buy a new QA grapple and a set of QA forks, and still have a couple grand to put back in the bank, or buy his wife a gift for letting him get so may new toys.

For $12K he could get a super split and a very nice and adequate hydraulic splitter with a log lift for the big stuff, probably with money left over. I have both and it is very convenient. 16 cord per year is not very much, not enough to justify a $12K hydro splitter IMO

To me, the equation is different for everyone. I think those box store wedge-on-ram units seem to take 3-4 hours per cord. If you call it 3.5 hours, 16 cords takes 56 hours to split. Drop that to an hour per cord with a big boy commercial unit and you save 40 hours per year. Everyone's got a different amount of spare time and a different amount of spare money. My splitter doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the standalone commercial units do (like an engine) and it was quite a bit cheaper, but I can still get into the cord per hour range. I love the time savings that I see. It really makes it easy to get the wood chores taken care of and still have time to spend with family. If I guy has limited time, enough resources to make it feasible, I think a high output splitter makes perfect sense.

I admire the OP’s commitment, but for $12,000, I could buy enough wood for my owb for 10 or 12 years.

And after that period of time you'd have nothing to show for your money. If the op spent $10k on a splitter, used it to split 160 cords over 10 years, he'd probably still have something worth $6-7k.

And after that period of time you'd have nothing to show for your money. If the op spent $10k on a splitter, used it to split 160 cords over 10 years, he'd probably still have something worth $6-7k.

I’m currently looking at Wolfe Ridge models in the 8-10k range and most certainly need something better than the super split. Nevertheless, if the wood splitter is efficient enough to let me work 8 more days per year as opposed to spending it splitting wood I would save $6,000.
Some of you may ask why I don’t just pay someone else to split it, it’s simply because I don’t want folks on my property.

Time is money!

@W4FY where are you?
And, if you are splitting big gnarly yard trees, on a regular basis, I'd like to see a way to break those down in place, before moving them.

For less than $7K you can buy an American splitter with a Honda motor, 22 gpm pump, and a log lift. 7second cycle time, 6 way wedge is optional. They’re very popular in the northeast.

For less than $7K you can buy an American splitter with a Honda motor, 22 gpm pump, and a log lift. 7second cycle time, 6 way wedge is optional. They’re very popular in the northeast.

I wonder what one would be with a 30" cylinder, a hydraulic wedge, and an auto cycle valve. I love the auto cycle valve on my Wolfe Ridge.

Wolfe Ridge just got a dealer in N.C. and they also have a veteran discount. It’s going to be hard to convince me otherwise at this point...

Thanks for the information.

I wonder what one would be with a 30" cylinder, a hydraulic wedge, and an auto cycle valve. I love the auto cycle valve on my Wolfe Ridge.

Wolfe Ridge just got a dealer in N.C. and they also have a veteran discount. It’s going to be hard to convince me otherwise at this point...

I won't try to talk you out of it. Quite the opposite. :)

When the auto cycle valve bounces off the log it's because the valve needs to be adjusted as the oil warms up. A scrench fits on the adjustment bolts, so now I just leave one there.

If your mind is made up, then what are we doing here? Post pics of the new Wolfe Ridge when you get it.

If your mind is made up, then what are we doing here? Post pics of the new Wolfe Ridge when you get it.

My last response included the preposition “at this point” to indicate that I had moved toward a decision since the original post. Once again, I thank everyone for the information and links provided. Since this is an online forum, it’s possible that English may not be your primary language and I apologize for confusing you.

Thank you!

My last response included the preposition “at this point” to indicate that I had moved toward a decision since the original post. Once again, I thank everyone for the information and links provided. Since this is an online forum, it’s possible that English may not be your primary language and I apologize for confusing you.

Thank you!

You are forgiven. You are welcome. Thank you for your service. If we can be of further assistance you know where to find us. Don't forget the pics of the new splitter.

$1100 yearly in purchased wood.

12k splitter.

And you still gotta do all the work of making firewood and loading the thing.

I'd be calling the gas company.

$1100 yearly in purchased wood.

12k splitter.

And you still gotta do all the work of making firewood and loading the thing.

I'd be calling the gas company.

I have already calculated that running solely on gas would cost avg $4,440/year in fuel without factoring in added hardware for the garage.

Latest posts

Back