Shindaiwa 488 repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konatree

Reaction score
Just yesterday i got a Shindaiwa 488 used. It won't start, and since it's the first used chainsaw i've ever had, can anyone give me advice on getting it running again? Also, i've read about people changing out the carburetor and hotrodding the 488, what carb do i need for that?

BTW, the gas is old and i just drained it.

Hey there, i have always been a fan of Shindaiwa chainsaws, since i first used one in the fall of 2005. So yesterday while hanging out with my friend who is a pawn shop fanatic, we go to you guessed it, a pawn shop. There was several used chainsaws there and then one caught my eye, a Shindaiwa 550, then i saw another red chainsaw, could it be? Yes it was a Shindaiwa 488.

They were originally 149.99, then marked down to 119.99. Neither saw would start so i offered the pawn shop lady $75 (and i was actually joking because i knew she wouldn't take it) and she said "thats ok" and what do you know, my buddy and me paid 75 apiece for some hard to find chainsaws.

If you have spark and compression, a carb kit and fuel line would be the first place to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back