shindaiwa fuel line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boec0020

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a shindaiwa 500 that needs a new fuel line (inside of the gas tank). Any tips on installing the new one?

Unfortunately, you have to remove the tank to replace the line, and the handle/carb to remove the upper fuel line and fitting from the tank to the carb.

After the tank is removed, you can just pull the whole line out from the top of the tank, and put the new one in. Slide the tank back into the case, reinstall the barb fitting and top fuel line, handle, carb and side cover, handlebar and such and should be good to go.

Check the carb boot, upper fuel line, and impulse line while you're in there too. :msp_thumbup:

If you need those, I bought all my rubber lines from site sponsor Edge and Engine, very fast shipping with reasonable prices.

The 500's aren't the easiest to work on, but they aren't too bad, just have to take it all apart to do much to it.

They really are good 50cc saws. Here is mine with a new 16" bar. :)

133168d2.jpg

b689059e.jpg

Removing the fuel tank is easy on the 500. You don't have to remove the handle to do the line from the tank to the carb. After you pull the old line out of the carb box toward the front, thread a wire through the hole in the carb box, cut the end of the fuel line at an angle, poke the wire through the fuel line and pull it from the front toward the back. Trim it square on the end and put it on the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the help!!! The fix went smoothly. If I knew how to give you rep...I would. Now I have to figure out why the kill switch doesn't work.

Thanks again guys:clap:

Glad it went smoothy! :clap:

Removing the fuel tank is easy on the 500. You don't have to remove the handle to do the line from the tank to the carb. After you pull the old line out of the carb box toward the front, thread a wire through the hole in the carb box, cut the end of the fuel line at an angle, poke the wire through the fuel line and pull it from the front toward the back. Trim it square on the end and put it on the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I wondered if it could be done that way after I had put mine together (course I had it all apart anyway for the rebuild). I didn't think the line would be long enough to cut though.

Good tip! :)

Do your saws have a cutout at the front of the handle for the upper fuel line? Mine seems to have been hacked on from the factory after the handle was moulded so it wouldn't pinch the fuel line. Its like the handle didn't line up correctly or something...

There should be a cutout at the front of the handle. Yours may have needed "modified" at some point. It can be a pain to get the front of the upper line on the nipple if the line is hooked to the carb first and the length isn't exactly right.

The first time I took a 345 apart it had so much grime on it I thought the fuel and oil tanks were one unit. I puzzled over that for awhile until I looked at the IPL.

The kill switch-make sure its tight, the connections are clean, use some degreaser. If that doesn't work it might be time for a new switch.

Last edited:
Sometimes that upper line gets pretty stiff. If I have the carb off, I put the fuel line on before I bolt the carb down.

Back