Silver maple - should it stay or should it go?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ichriscrabtree

Reaction score
We have a 75’ tall silver maple shade tree that extends over our house and over the neighbor’s as well. Some say it’s a “junk tree”, brittle and dangerous. They say we should have it removed. I’ve had five tree guys out and only one thought it needed removing. Would you take it out or leave it? We love the shade but we don’t want anything bad to happen.

Attachments

• Imports - 1 of 6.jpeg
    Imports - 1 of 6.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • Imports - 6 of 6.jpeg
    Imports - 6 of 6.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 26
  • Imports - 5 of 6.jpeg
    Imports - 5 of 6.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Imports - 4 of 6.jpeg
    Imports - 4 of 6.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 22
  • Imports - 3 of 6.jpeg
    Imports - 3 of 6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
You can't enjoy the benefits of a big old shade tree close to the house without accepting the risks.
These risks can be can be lowered through professional assessment, thoughtful pruning and installing cables if there are any weak spots in the tree.
Nothing in the photos would make me suggest removal, but a tree has to be assessed in person.
If these tree guys were qualified, 4 out of 5 probably means its worth keeping for now.

That tree would most likely be fine with some cables and weight reduction.

As I’ve said many times visiting clients properties: If you have any trees within striking distance of your home you have some level of risk. If you remove all of the trees around your home, you have a really crummy property.

Your level of risk tolerance is your own, and nobody can change that for you.

If 4 out of 5 said it does not have to come down, it probably does not have to come down. Most tree guys that I know are more likely to recommend removal over anything else. Kudos to the ones you had out to your house.

Did they explain their reasonings? Did the 1 minority report highlighted things nobody else saw?

Were these paid assessments? What we're their qualifications?

FWIW, outside of extreme circumstances, a good risk assessment report should NOT say "remove" or "keep". It should explain the risk levels based on probability of failure, likelihood of impacting a target and consequences of failure.

IF the top half of that tree fails, it will probably crush a house. Likewise IF a truck hits he head on while we are both going 70MPH I will die. Does that mean I should never drive on the interstate?

You had 4 (presumably???) qualified individuals assess the tree...yet you want people online who you don't know from Adam to assess it for you. Sounds like you want an excuse to remove it more than a quality assessment...

Big mature silver maples do break off large and small limbs easily in icey and windy conditions. Smallish to midsize silver maple are usually plenty stable to be safe in most conditions. They grow faster then most trees, so your more likely to have good shade before you die if you are planting, but i would suggest planting a sturdier slower growing tree or 2 near enough to replace a silver maple thats approaching the big tree status before it is problematic.
In your case i would trim the tree down to where it is safe for now and soon after plant several trees to replace it keeping in mind that the trees you plant will be thinned out in the next century and 1 last tree will be standing big tall and strong.

I don't see much of a canopy - more lumber than leaves. Nice root flares, though. :)
Most of the volunteer maples in my yard I've cut to make clumps. I think your's is too late for that. :laugh:
I would get rid of it and replant.

Did they explain their reasonings? Did the 1 minority report highlighted things nobody else saw?

They did. Various things they pointed out.

Were these paid assessments? What we're their qualifications?

They were tree service reps doing free estimates. Only one was an arborist-in-training.

FWIW, outside of extreme circumstances, a good risk assessment report should NOT say "remove" or "keep". It should explain the risk levels based on probability of failure, likelihood of impacting a target and consequences of failure.

IF the top half of that tree fails, it will probably crush a house. Likewise IF a truck hits he head on while we are both going 70MPH I will die. Does that mean I should never drive on the interstate?

You had 4 (presumably???) qualified individuals assess the tree...yet you want people online who you don't know from Adam to assess it for you. Sounds like you want an excuse to remove it more than a quality assessment...

I'm looking for help either way. I'm stuck in the middle. My father in law thinks they are junk trees and should be removed. He's offering to pay for it. My wife doesn't want to turn dow the offer now only to have to pay for removing it ourselves in a few years on our dime.

I hate to see any tree removed needlessly but - Just my Opinion - Too many silver maples are planted in the wrong place and then have to be trimmed back when they are too large to recover from the trimming. If you remove the potentially hazardous branches, it will start to rot down into the trunk, creating more hazard. The only loss I see here is shade and too much shade is not always good for a roof - keeps it from drying out. I bet you love cleaning up all the leaves and seeds this thing drops every year.

Latest posts

Back