Some how about those McCulloch Pro Mac 55 's?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bplust

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So how about those McCulloch Pro Mac 55 's?

For whatever reason, every PM55 I've seen (10, at least) is pretty much cherry. I've seen tons of 7-10's, 10-10's of every variety, PM700's, etc. etc., and while I've seen a few real nice ones, I don't think that any of them have ever been in as nice condition as any given PM55 that I've come across. Any reason for this, or did lightning just strike the same spot 10+ times? Were they marketed as "the gentleman's chainsaw" or something?

Additionally, I've seen these pm55's in both immaculately clean shops and dirt floor, crap everywhere shops, so it's not like I'm only seeing them in chainsaw museums.

Just curious.

Last edited:
For whatever reason, every PM55 I've seen (10, at least) is pretty much cherry. I've seen tons of 7-10's, 10-10's of every variety, PM700's, etc. etc., and while I've seen a few real nice ones, I don't think that any of them have ever been in as nice condition as any given PM55 that I've come across. Any reason for this, or did lightning just strike the same spot 10+ times? Were they marketed as "the gentleman's chainsaw" or something?

Additionally, I've seen these pm55's in both immaculately clean shops and dirt floor, crap everywhere shops, so it's not like I'm only seeing them in chainsaw museums.

Just curious.

I think that I have a ugly one that I can post pics of if you want to see it.:msp_biggrin:

LOL, I believe you. I just thought it was strange how nice every one has been. I live in Northern Vermont, it's a wet climate, and things rust. Most saws of this vintage I come across around here are decent or butt-ugly. It's pretty rare to see 70's saws in excellent condition.

I had one come to me in this batch of saws:

Yorksaws030.jpg

It was purported to run but have a bad clutch. On closer inspection I found that the chain was merely off the sprocket. A two minute inspection and fix had me back in business. I ran it a bit at the Central VA. GRG at Gorving's lat year. Here it is in "as found" condition.

Yorksaws019.jpg

Yorksaws030.jpg

It was purported to run but have a bad clutch. On closer inspection I found that the chain was merely off the sprocket. A two minute inspection and fix had me back in business. I ran it a bit at the Central VA. GRG at Gorving's lat year. Here it is in "as found" condition.

Yorksaws019.jpg

Nice grab! I wish I found more parking spaces that looked like that!

Yorksaws019.jpg

Thanks for the pics GS! In 2004, I picked up a Pro Mac 55 in return for cleaning and tuning up several other machines that where in the barn of a friend. I had a .pdf Manual for it that got lost on an old Hard Drive and couldn't remember the specific Model Number. Mine is all yellow and the decals on the Air Filter Cover are no longer present. What prompted me to post is that mine has no chain break on it, like yours. I spent a pretty good effort trying to find a replacement for it with no luck. I know a little of the history of my machine as it was originally owned by the founder of the Hoedads Reforestation Cooperative in Eugene, Oregon Hoedads

Currently it is in my son's garage. It still runs strong though I have "winterized" it for storage. I'll post a picture of it soon as I can.

Bigfoot

I will have to snap a picture of my dad's 55, it's not cherry but in very nice condition considering it's age. They were just good old firewood saws and built like a tank. Dad has trouble getting it to start when it sits for a while and I need to go over to get it going for him but after that it starts and runs great. I think that his 76 year old body just can't pull it over fast enough to prime the lines. It sems to start fine when I come over and start it. He would not think of buying another saw or using one of mine, he bought it new in 1977 and loves it still.

I'll have to get pics of dad's. It's mint. He bought it new before I was born and I'd be stunned if it has 40 hours runtime on it since. It has the scabbard and wrenches, too. When I proved I could handle the Poulan Micro, he let me try the Mac... Now look at me.

Funny story about it, when I was about 14 or 15, we remodeled the kitchen. Dad decided the fastest way to get the old soffits down was to use the 55. We were half-way into it when my best friend's face appeared in the door with eyes the size of dinner-plates. His dad was police chief in town at the time and he said when he heard the saw running from 3 houses up the block he ran to see what was up until realizing it was coming from inside our house. He crept the rest of the way, suspicious something nefarious was up right here in River City!!! Dad and I still laugh about it.

Did I mention it's loud?

I'll have to get pics of dad's. It's mint. He bought it new before I was born and I'd be stunned if it has 40 hours runtime on it since. It has the scabbard and wrenches, too. When I proved I could handle the Poulan Micro, he let me try the Mac... Now look at me.

Funny story about it, when I was about 14 or 15, we remodeled the kitchen. Dad decided the fastest way to get the old soffits down was to use the 55. We were half-way into it when my best friend's face appeared in the door with eyes the size of dinner-plates. His dad was police chief in town at the time and he said when he heard the saw running from 3 houses up the block he ran to see what was up until realizing it was coming from inside our house. He crept the rest of the way, suspicious something nefarious was up right here in River City!!! Dad and I still laugh about it.

Did I mention it's loud?

They sure are easy to hear from a long way off. Great story.

Last edited:
Ok, so my memory ain't what it used to be and I described it from memory poorly.

But here it is. Model No. 600031D/Serial No. 11-42847. Has been sitting in the loft of my son's garage for a couple of years now. When I got it down for pics, it was not frozen. Last time I used it, it ran great and I ran the fuel out and put tbs. of 2 Cycle Oil in the spark plug hole.

View attachment 234183View attachment 234184View attachment 234185View attachment 234186View attachment 234187

234184d1334705792-full-left-jpeg

234185d1334705793-full-right-jpeg

Looks pretty good. That saw originally had a chainbrake. That's a chainbrake type clutch cover on the saw. Somebody took the chainbrake arm and other parts off. That looks like an H&S spike set on the saw. If you'd rather have more 'normal' sized spikes on it, I'd be interested trading a good 'standard' spike set for those. Here's the link to the IPL for your saw.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/McC...D-PRO-MAC-55-08-73-to-03-77-IPL-92384A-R1.pdf

Last edited:
I bought mine for $20 in Beaverton. When I gave her the cash, she had this look, as if to say "sucker". When I got it home, I took off the air filter, and noticed the choke rod had come unhooked from the knob. Hooked it up, and it started right up. Now who's the "sucker"? Best $20 I ever spent. I haven't used it in 2 years, and when I went to start it today, it started right up. Best chainsaw ever.

Back