Spinning Chain - Fess Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Bought one of the Bailey's Spinner & Breaker combos a few months ago and started playing with it. Punching out the rivets in chains and bar sprockets is kinda fun. Still getting the hang of spinning.

But as I was inspecting some scavenged chain to practice on, I noticed a few funny things, like tie straps that were spun on upside down, inside out (name stamped on the inside), etc.

Made me wonder if any of you guys ever spun in a section of chain with the cutters backwards, upside down, wrong pitch, etc., by accident? We have all mounted chain backwards on a saw. Figured that there must be some interesting chains that were assembled late at night.

Fess up?

Philbert

I've spun chains too long, too short, with a drive link in back wards, and I put an old-school .404" Oregon preset and tie strap in a Stihl 3/8" chain once.

However, that's nothing- we got a new roll of Stihl 33RS chain once from Stihl Northwest- All the left-hand cutters were oriented normally, all the right-hand cutters were backwards.

I've spun chains too long, too short, with a drive link in back wards, and I put an old-school .404" Oregon preset and tie strap in a Stihl 3/8" chain once.

However, that's nothing- we got a new roll of Stihl 33RS chain once from Stihl Northwest- All the left-hand cutters were oriented normally, all the right-hand cutters were backwards.

Now that is funny....:laugh:

There was a thread a while back with pictures of a backwards cutter. In the same thread someone admitted to connecting a chain inside out, cutters on the inside and drivers on the outside.

My dad stopped by a buddy's shop once (both were timber cutters at the time.) The buddy had 20 or freshly ground chains hanging on the wall. My dad turned them all inside-out. It's pretty easy to do if you have the touch.

My dad stopped by a buddy's shop once (both were timber cutters at the time.) The buddy had 20 or freshly ground chains hanging on the wall. My dad turned them all inside-out. It's pretty easy to do if you have the touch.

How in the world does one go about doing that? I cant even imagine how to do it? But then again, I did grow up in the Kentucky school systems....:laugh:

OK, I guess I'll bite on this worm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,This is sort of like the stories told at the local tavern,,,,,the fish get bigger and bigger with every beer,,,,,,,,,,,Haha!

I have been around a few chains in my life, but please tell me how to turn a chain inside out?

Bob

If everybody finds out how do do it will there be new mischief at the GTGs?
And here I am sizing up how to get 70mm piston in an 090 and putting a water jacket on it and ordering a larger mill/lathe but this sounds much easier and less productive...(Running to the garage now) I accept the challenge :clap::clap:

If everybody finds out how do do it will there be new mischief at the GTGs?

You can have a competition for a brand new 372XP or a 460,,,,,,,first one to do it wins a free saw,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but everyone will be frustrated and the new saw will go unclaimed! Would be good advertising for the dealer though! Haha!

Hells bells, most guys can't even untangle a bunched up chain! Haha!
Bob

How in the world does one go about doing that? I cant even imagine how to do it? But then again, I did grow up in the Kentucky school systems....:laugh:

It's one of those tricks that takes a little thinking that log cutters used to do to each other all the time. Some other favorites were filling a guy's lunch box full of saw chips and taking a crap next to the door of his pickup.

Shovel operators would put tachylube on the underside of the door handle. Pretty soon, you'd have that stuff all over you.

It's one of those tricks that takes a little thinking that log cutters used to do to each other all the time. Some other favorites were filling a guy's lunch box full of saw chips and taking a crap next to the door of his pickup.

Shovel operators would put tachylube on the underside of the door handle. Pretty soon, you'd have that stuff all over you.

Do loggers poop in the woods? :laugh:

Cool...
I just turned one of my old 20 inch chains inside out...LoL

Latest posts

Back