Spinning Chain - Fess Up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not have even thought about inside out!

I know that you can flip bandsaw blades, because my bandsaw (Inca) feeds from the other side than Delta style bandsaws, and when I order blades they sometimes forget to 'reverse' them.

But bandsaw blades are pretty flexible. I would think that a chainsaw loop would have to be pretty long and pretty loose to turn inside out.

Good point on the drive links too.

On one of the scavenged chains I am practicing on, all of the cutters are Oregon, all full chisel, same pitch and gauge, but there are 2 different profiles for the depth gauges. The previous owner must have pieced together 2 different chains (older and newer).

Did not notice this until I started playing with the spinner.

Philbert

I made up a chain that was too short so far. I've only made about 10 so far so I haven't had time to mess up too many yet.

Heh. I immediately thought of bandsaws as well.

I, too, have mis-counted drivers and come up short or long. I've also spun 'em too tight and had to start over with a new preset. Now, I like to imagine that I learn from my mistakes and only screw up the same way once, but, well, I'm pretty clever like that and will certainly find new ways to break things.

OK, I guess I'll bite on this worm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,This is sort of like the stories told at the local tavern,,,,,the fish get bigger and bigger with every beer,,,,,,,,,,,Haha!

I have been around a few chains in my life, but please tell me how to turn a chain inside out?

Bob
it's easy, just wear leather gloves and open it up into circle and twist down, the longer the chain the easier it is to do. Always good for a laugh. Something else that is good for a laugh is throwing a wrist-pin retainer on a co-workers bench after he does a rebuild. lol

Last edited:
I replaced three or so bent driver links and did not pay attention to the cutter sequence. When I finished setting the second tie strap I noticed I had 2 left hand cutters in a row, then a right hand, then 2 left hand cutters.

I ran it as is with no problems. It was a baileys chain and I spliced in an oregon section.

Howdy,
I used to keep the trainees on their feet by taking a piece of chain, put 1 a-hole in it, and then spin it together. No matter how you flip it, you have to break the loop to fix it.
Regards
Gregg

I know that one. One of the things I curse folks with is a third "loop" in their sawchain. Watching someone play with one is like an idiot playing with feathers with honey on their hands.

Worst thing I ever did was accidentally drop 50 x .050" presets into a box of about 500 x .063" 3/8" presets.
I didn't think it would make much of a difference but after binding up a heap of .063" chains I went through the whole lot one by one to sort them out.
I mentioned this in one of Philbert's threads but did the same with a heap of .043" 3/8"LP presets. That was even worse :censored:

I've done the old too short too long thing as well. There was also the time I posted a 20" 3/8" .050" 72DL GB bar for an Echo plus 3 chains to an interstate customer, only to find that despite GB's labelling the bar was actually 19" and 70DL. The customer understood and I haven't trusted GB's DL counts ever since :D

OK, now I have to fess up.

I was salvaging some chain from the 'free' pile at a GTG and a fellow AS member said he could use a loop of 3/8" chisel chain if I cut it down to 60 links. No problem!

I noticed that there was a slight variation between some of the cutters, but they were all Oregon, 3/8", round-ground chisel, etc., so I just assumed that the previous owner spliced together some older and newer chain.

When I handed him the chain, he immediately pointed out that some of the drive links were 'bumper' style, and some were regular.

Does this make it a 'sort-of-a-safety chain', a 'slightly-reduced-kickback chain', a 'skip-bumper chain'?

It will probably still cut fine - I just feel stupid that I did not notice the differences in the drive links while examining, cleaning, spinning, or sharpening the chain.

Philbert

When I break a chain on a cutter I throw the new cutter in the ziplock bag with the presets. You never know when you will need a extra . I saw a inverted chain once and said to myself what weirdo pulled this off and then put it in the box. I took it back and they gave me another . Somebody is probably still telling stories about that idiot that returned his flipped chain . The guy that was working was scratching his head being it was a new chain . I guess I'm not the only idiot .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back