Splitter - paying a premium for a Honda motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 years ago I spent the 650.00 for a GX390 from Surplus Center - 70 cords later, it starts first pull, hot or cold, it sat from May till last week, gas in it, started 1st pull. No need for electric start on one of these.
Be sure to run an ethanol free fuel thru there before leaving it sit, ethanol will eat the metal in the float bowl. That being said I'm not a big fan of draining them empty either, but rather to keep the tank full and run them at least once a month warming them up to operating temp for at least 5-10 minutes or longer. That's hard to do on a pressure washer here in Michigan, and that's the only carb I have problems with and I drain that one. Although I have bought many Honda products that needed the carbs cleaned, they would only run with the choke on, easy to fix and then they work great(I just clean them, only buy a kit if the needle leaks or the bowl seal leaks), I like most Honda products.

You want the Honda GX motor if you are going to spend extra money. You can buy a descent Honda GX motor on craigslist for $100-$200. Since I started using them on my log splitters I won't use anything else, they are quiet, smooth, good on gas and start the first pull. If you don't use it all the time like I do another motor will probably be fine for you.

Be sure to run an ethanol free fuel thru there before leaving it sit, ethanol will eat the metal in the float bowl. That being said I'm not a big fan of draining them empty either, but rather to keep the tank full and run them at least once a month warming them up to operating temp for at least 5-10 minutes or longer. That's hard to do on a pressure washer here in Michigan, and that's the only carb I have problems with and I drain that one. Although I have bought many Honda products that needed the carbs cleaned, they would only run with the choke on, easy to fix and then they work great(I just clean them, only buy a kit if the needle leaks or the bowl seal leaks), I like most Honda products.

I have a Honda GX390 on my current splitter. It has the electric start option but it's easy to pull and starts on the first pull, just like my GX160 did on my last splitter. I agree the electric start is not needed and I would probably be replacing more batteries instead. I would pay extra for a Honda GX at this point no matter what it is on. I bought a Honda GX240 with the gear reduction drive for $100 and it runs good for a conveyor.

I have a Honda GX390 on my current splitter. It has the electric start option but it's easy to pull and starts on the first pull, just like my GX160 did on my last splitter. I agree the electric start is not needed and I would probably be replacing more batteries instead. I would pay extra for a Honda GX at this point no matter what it is on. I bought a Honda GX240 with the gear reduction drive for $100 and it runs good for a conveyor.
For those who need/want the best they are hard to beat for the price.
I've got a swisher 34 ton here right now that has the electric start option. The swisher has a pump disconnect /cold weather starting mode that is an idler that puts pressure on a belt to the pump, in cold weather starting mode you are only turning the motor over so it's not bad and I don't have a battery on it. It's a nice feature to have more for resale for me at this point in life than a personal need. It's got a B&S twin on it, I'd rather have a Honda gx on it, but it works fine as is so I won't be changing it. If I needed a different motor for it I always have a few saved that are on CL just in case the need ever arose, I'd rather have a use Honda gx than a new predator/clone motor on my equipment.
I have one of those engines and it is the best one ever.
:numberone:

Back