Square Ground Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwhite1271

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So last year when had all the fires, we ordered a few rolls of Stihl square ground at the request of the forest service. We had a few loops left over so I decided that I would play around with it. I ordered some Stihl files for square ground chain. When I got them I noticed that the corners of the file are not sharp but rounded. I put it on the chain and the file will not reach into the corner of the square because the file has rounded edges. Is this normal?

A three corner chisel file has 6 sides and from a distance looks like a triangular file. There are 3 real short sides and 3 longer sides.

http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=15065&catID=

The short sides do the inside of the vertical part of the cutter and the longer side does the inside of the top plate.

As already said, you sharpen from the outside towards the inside.

You must absolutely keep the corner of the file, where the short side meets the long side, aligned with the outside corner of the cutter.

If you are too high with the file the chain just will not cut.

If you are too low with the file, the chain will not stay sharp more than a couple cuts.

I think the three corner file is great to use in the woods to touch up a square chain.

And as already said the flat file with rounded smooth edges is a raker file.

Then there is the goofy file that is a lot like a raker file but has teeth on the sides too. They are used on square chains but I've never used one

http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?PageNo=1&skw=goofy+file

Last edited:
Look on baileys for the double bevel files and that is the profile that you need to sharpen square chain.

Try the Stihl badged 3 corner if you can find them. Nice true edges.

To attempt to answer the question in the original post, I suspect that the intersection of file angles on a true goofy file is pretty much like the 3 corner and bevel file corners but in the middle it is blended from one angle to the other? This would perhaps help blend the gullet. But like I said, I've never used one.

One problem with the name "Goofy File" is that most people call all the files used for square chain filing - Goofy Files.

Husqvarna Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's

Get a Save Edge double bevel file. I've been square filling for forty years and this file is the smoothest, easiest to use out there. I allways used tri-square files 'till I found these a few years ago. Goofy files are easy too but you'll get better results with the Save Edge.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here, but i thought it would be a good time to ask instead of starting a new thread
What's the benefits of using square ground???

Initially cuts very fast but doesn't stay sharp as long.

Better in clean green wood.

That seems to be very true. Cuts like a hot knife through butter for a long time in aspen wood, but elm seems to make it dull rather quickly.

Initially cuts very fast but doesn't stay sharp as long.

Better in clean green wood.

Green wood yes. However you can only cut what's in front of you.
I like both square and round grind/file , just me, but whatever diference there is , is slight.
Either one will put wood on the ground and sawdust in your pockets

Green wood yes. However you can only cut what's in front of you.
I like both square and round grind/file , just me, but whatever diference there is , is slight.
Either one will put wood on the ground and sawdust in your pockets

That's my problem, I'm more involved with blow downs, old damaged, and diseased trees. Not very many green ones.

I run chisel chain, should be running some semi chisel.

I'm also a little surprised the gap was not a little wider. Mike is better than your average filer so that could in part
account for the results.
Now I run almost exclusively square, and I enjoy the performance advantage of square chisel,
but then again I'm usually cutting clean green pine.
For me, It doesn't seem to dull any faster than round in this type of wood anyway.
I doubt I would speak so highly of it if it were not for my square grinder, cause filing by
hand (with any square file) for me was a PITA, and not worth the extra effort/attention to detail required.

Last edited:
My shop guy told me that my square chain could be filed & sharpened with a round file. Said it's not the "best" way as it defeats the purpose of having a square grind, but that it does work. It's 404 on my 084 so I haven't tried it yet, haven't even cut with the new chain yet. Don't recall exactly but seems it was the only thing available, which is why I bought it instead of the round. Will be finding out next week on a giant, down & seasoned white oak.

Round filing the chain is an option if you can't square file or have square files available. I have round filed some in the field and then put it back on the grinder when I got home if I didn't have an extra loop.

Latest posts

Back