Square Ground Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like chain life would be shortened unnessacarily, going between round and square

It is but sometimes you do what you gotta do. I have several guys on my crew that are great fallers but terrible at sharpening or filing chain. So I square grind all their chains at my house and then when they need to touch-up, they either swap chains or just run a round file over them.

It is but sometimes you do what you gotta do. I have several guys on my crew that are great fallers but terrible at sharpening or filing chain. So I square grind all their chains at my house and then when they need to touch-up, they either swap chains or just run a round file over them.

Your correct, you do what you have to do.

Uou don't lose much cutter if you follow the same top plate angle. You will lose a little bit of the side plate but all you need to get back is the point and top plate sharp.

Use a 5/32 round file on your square ground, you'll hardly notice the difference

Use a 5/32 file on round ground chisel, it'll cut like a square ground chisel, turns your chain into a razor blade.

sq. ground chain

My shop guy told me that my square chain could be filed & sharpened with a round file. Said it's not the "best" way as it defeats the purpose of having a square grind, but that it does work. It's 404 on my 084 so I haven't tried it yet, haven't even cut with the new chain yet. Don't recall exactly but seems it was the only thing available, which is why I bought it instead of the round. Will be finding out next week on a giant, down & seasoned white oak.

Howdy-I have personally used square ground chain with a round file quite a bit. We used to by the square ground by the reel and would run the loops on a grinder for falling but would round file on the landing with the same chain. I remember the chain cutting almost as good as sq. ground for the first filling or two. the gullets will need to be dealt with a little sooner but all-in-all if the price were right i'd do it again. Good luck:cheers:

You can change your angles to make square filed/ground hold up better in dirty conditions. If you grind it like out of the box Stihl chain 12 deg top plate 85 side and some decent under cutter angle, it will hold up well since there is more meat to support the tip but it still cuts a bit faster than most round ground chain and it's much smoother.

+1 on that.

Stihl RSLFK is the only skip tooth stihl chain available in aus, but it is only available as a ripping chain with the top plate at 10 degrees, and square ground. It actually cuts very well right out of the box - a little better than round ground chisel. After it goes blunt I round file it to 30 degrees.

h82 set up grinder round angles?

Bought my 1st grinder and then figured out the h82 chain I bought with new 562 saw is square ground. Have searched site and realize some grind it round but need specific angle set up for grinder to do that. Thanks, Jim

Bought my 1st grinder and then figured out the h82 chain I bought with new 562 saw is square ground. Have searched site and realize some grind it round but need specific angle set up for grinder to do that. Thanks, Jim

Grind it to whatever you normally grind your chain.

Try 30 degree for the top plate and i think it's 60 degree on the tilt.

Back