Stihl 028 AV Electronic Quickstop Muffler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
Hi, got a 028 AV the other day, it's without a muffler, I have only found the part list for the 028, does anyone know if all 028 mufflers can be used for this saw?

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
There are 3 different mufflers for the 028`s, the older models with the metal fuel tank/rear handle had a rear shell of the muffler that has a screw that mounts through the left hand side, the later mufflers that have two screws to the cylinder and two screws to the crankcase through the rear shell+two at the top corners of the top will both interchange, one is meant for the regular 028 and the other for the 028Super but they will interchange.

FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
I see, the saw is all in parts now, I will check this. Is most other parts the same? I ordered crankcase gasket for 028 and need to order bearings. My model has 42 mm piston rings by the way, that might tell more about the model...

Thanks a lot for all posts :)

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Does your saw have the metal fuel tank/rear handle setup and does it have a screw that goes into the muffler sideways from the left hand side in? That will tell more about your saw than the bore/piston size, these can easily be swapped between the 42-44 mm cylinders.

FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
Does your saw have the metal fuel tank/rear handle setup and does it have a screw that goes into the muffler sideways from the left hand side in? That will tell more about your saw than the bore/piston size, these can easily be swapped between the 42-44 mm cylinders.

Just went outside to check, the rear handle and fuel tank is metal, and seen from back to forward on the left side in muffler area there is a screw-whole for about a 5 mm screw.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Just went outside to check, the rear handle and fuel tank is metal, and seen from back to forward on the left side in muffler area there is a screw-whole for about a 5 mm screw.

Now you need to look for a muffler with this mount type, I don`t think they are stocked by Stihl any more but there are lots of used ones out there. Your saw is of the earliest of the 028 models, still a great saw in their own rites. I have a lot of them but not any of the metal tank ones, I have worked on plenty of them and they really are a solid made saw. The metal tanks are susceptible to leaks, especially if the saw takes a hard knock to that area.

Rokon

Rokon

ArboristSite Guru
I just finished up the same saw you have. Metal tank etc. Converted it to electronic ignition while I was at it.

The muffler you want is from an 028WB. Yes the WB stood for Wood Boss, but so did later/newer models. The model you want will just say WB, if looking at a complete saw. As mentioned by pioneerguy the muffler should have the same mounts as yours to fit properly. :)

FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks both of You! Is there a spesific service manual for this 028 AV Electronic Quickstop? Will the bearing be the same for all 028?
I didn't find the correct muffler at ebay, any ideas?
The fuel tank is mugged with som old fuel or something, it's yellow and thick, what is a god way to clean that up?

Last edited:
FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
Now you need to look for a muffler with this mount type, I don`t think they are stocked by Stihl any more but there are lots of used ones out there. Your saw is of the earliest of the 028 models, still a great saw in their own rites. I have a lot of them but not any of the metal tank ones, I have worked on plenty of them and they really are a solid made saw. The metal tanks are susceptible to leaks, especially if the saw takes a hard knock to that area.

Thanks a lot! What production year would Yoy guess?

FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
I just finished up the same saw you have. Metal tank etc. Converted it to electronic ignition while I was at it.

The muffler you want is from an 028WB. Yes the WB stood for Wood Boss, but so did later/newer models. The model you want will just say WB, if looking at a complete saw. As mentioned by pioneerguy the muffler should have the same mounts as yours to fit properly. :)

Thanks! Is there a spesific service manual for this 028 AV Electronic Quickstop or is it same for all 028 just with different specs inside? Will the bearing be the same for all 028?

I didn't find the correct muffler at ebay, any ideas?

The fuel tank is mugged with som old fuel or something, it's yellow and thick, what is a god way to clean that up?

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Thanks a lot! What production year would Yoy guess?

Production would be from before 03-1985 from what I have read, serial numbers can only be figured out by Stihl themselves. Mufflers for them will come along but are not the ones most used nowadays. The old type of carb cleaner works great for cleaning up fuel tanks but it is getting harder to find, especially in the US due to EPA regs.

FlyMats

FlyMats

ArboristSite Operative
Production would be from before 03-1985 from what I have read, serial numbers can only be figured out by Stihl themselves. Mufflers for them will come along but are not the ones most used nowadays. The old type of carb cleaner works great for cleaning up fuel tanks but it is getting harder to find, especially in the US due to EPA regs.

I also see they started production in 1977. I will save a search on Ebay for the muffler :)