Stihl 028 WB Chain Brake Add on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the kit you show looks like the correct kit. one end of the spring goes in the cutout below the oiler vent by the bar studs. look closer at Harley pics.---- part # on new brake handle 1118 792 9100? pic of yours with cover off would help.

I sure do appreciate everyone's help on this. The dealer I bought the spare saw from says the kit will work but its not an intertia brake. Two other dealers I called said that they were all inertia brakes. I guess a manual brake is better than nothing. But I sure would like to know!

Does this picture help? If not, please let me know and I will take more.

your new parts should work. take off the plastic gear on right, slight pressure with screw driver under it and turn clockwise. look at Harleys pics.

Some update and more questions.....

On a recent trip I passed one of the older dealers in Mass and purchased a 028 block with the brake and got it home to find out that it doesn't fit my saw. It has the wrap around band. So back to the drawing board. I talked with Stihl who explained to me that on parts that are NLA, any dealer can ship them out of their territory. So, back to square one and getting the 1118-007-1002 shipped to me. I had the retailer that had this kit send me a picture and I noticed it included a brake handle without the two windows. Does this mean that this kit IS NOT an intertia brake system? Does changing out the handle change any of this?

That should be the right kit for your saw.

Check this out... http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/how-does-an-inertial-chain-brake-work.42816/

As I read it they are the same brake system, just 2 different activation methods.

That gear slides right out of what I think is the oiler. I am going to pull the trigger on the part kit. Here are some additional picture - 1 with the clutch exposed and the other of the wrong brake band

Got the parts and although there were no instructions I finally figured it out. There is a slot where one of the loops on the brake band (that also receives a plug) slides into. Mine was filled with oil/wood and I had no idea it was there until I did some cleaning and boom it all made sense. So here are some pictures so future sufferers may be helped:

This picture is missing a washer that sits on top of the "cam" and under the straight portion of the spring

Hey there everyone. I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thank you because this did help me get a non crossover brake installed on my 028. Sourced everything I needed to retrofit off ebay for a whopping $36, haha. Band, springs, and levers from one person. Brake handle from a second person. I attached some pictures of mine so the next guy researching this has some more visuals. Thanks again everyone!!!

Attachments

• IMG-0139.JPG
    IMG-0139.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-0142.JPG
    IMG-0142.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28

Latest posts

Back