Stihl 028 WB Chain Brake Add on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty dive

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi gang, I am a long time lurker of this website but I am in need of some help now I have a few saws - a couple stihls and a jonsered. The saw that I'm working on right now I recently inherited from my father. It is a 028 WB without the factory chain break. As you can imagine I would love to keep the saw in its full glory and use it but it really does need a chain break for safety reasons. I read through this string but still need your help and I'm posting a picture of what mine looks like. I sure would appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction to gather these parts.

Scotty, all you need is a clutch cover on that saw. The chain brake mechanism is factory-only and is installed under that cover that's behind the chain.

When I was reading this thread, there seems to be a kit, but I need to make sure I can get it and it would fit my saw. Does anyone know if mine is a candidate for this upgrade?

Thread I am speaking of: string

Check your brake handle. If it's a solid piece, it may not have a chain brake, but if it has a pair of windows, you will likely have a chain brake on board already. If it has a handle with two windows, I have to agree with Warped5. Most 028 wood boss versions came with chain brakes, especially if built after 1984. You can also check the brake handle part number, which should be something like 1118 790 9100 if the brake is there.

Alex - that is pretty funny!

I may be a little confused here about the handles and the windows etc. I have included a couple more shots to see if the gurus see something that might make some sense.

Wood Dr. - Any chance you have a part number for the retrofit kit? Or anyone for that matter know what the part number is?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scott

If I remember right from having looked at the diagram a couple years back on Stihl's Media Cat, a retrofit brake goes behind the cover, but is different than what came from the factory on later versions of the 028. I had an early one like yours recently that I put a 46mm cylinder kit on, and was considering doing the same thing you are doing.
Most of the early one like yours I've owned have had the 42mm cylinder, and they really didn't have much power when compared to the later 44mm 028's. The later 46mm 028 Supers had even more power.
I had a nice 031 that came without the brake once, that I added the clutch cover chain brake on to.
It actually saved my bacon too. I was checking oil output next to a piece of wood when I accidently touched the end of the bar to the log at full throttle. It kicked back towards me hard, and inertia engaged the brake and stopped the chain before it even came close. That was a holy #@!& moment.

Sorry I just realized I posted a link to a thread you had already posted on. I THINK you need the old style kit. Part number: 1118 007 1002. I'm not positive though, since the pics are gone from that thread. I'll try to get some pics of my dad's saw that I put the kit on. If you take the plastic cover off and take some pics it may help someone point you in the right direction.

I called stihl today and got technical support. One of the problems I had with them is that their records didn't go back that far at least on the computer. They gave me two part numbers 1118–007- 1001 and 1118–007-1002. They also gave me a list of the oldest dealers in the United States where I called three of them and none of them recognized the 1001 part number. I did find the 0002 online for $32 and pulled the trigger on that should be here sometime next week. Hoping that I lucked out and found the right kit. Thank you all for your help.

In the "You can't make it up" department, I received a call from the company I purchased the kit from telling me they are not authorized to ship Stihl parts and therefore canceled my order. Huh? Did you really just say that. I called back again and spoke to someone at the parts counter and they confirmed. So my search continues. I called Dunn's Equipment in Ma and they are seeing if they have a 028 in parts where they can sell me the block/crank. Glad to see there are still some dealers who will work for the customer instead.

I haven't gone that route yet, but if some reason there is a generous member who live near the Utica, MI Weingartz Supply store, I sure would be forever in their debt. Actually, if they live near ANY of the Weingartz stores I could have the parts transferred there.

Some update and more questions.....

On a recent trip I passed one of the older dealers in Mass and purchased a 028 block with the brake and got it home to find out that it doesn't fit my saw. It has the wrap around band. So back to the drawing board. I talked with Stihl who explained to me that on parts that are NLA, any dealer can ship them out of their territory. So, back to square one and getting the 1118-007-1002 shipped to me. I had the retailer that had this kit send me a picture and I noticed it included a brake handle without the two windows. Does this mean that this kit IS NOT an intertia brake system? Does changing out the handle change any of this?

Mine is not like that. In your second picture - take a look just to the right of where the spring attaches to the post. On yours there is a "traingular" piece of metal and a slot where a horizontal pin from the overlapping brake band rests. If you look at my picture, I do not have that triangle and nowhere for that horizontal bar to slot into. Clearly I need the none overlapping brake band, but I am not sure if this gets me an inertia brake system. Does that make sense?

Latest posts

Back