Stihl 028 wood boss questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor615

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I got a used stihl 028 I just recently cleaned up. It’s got new fuel line, carb kit and impulse line. It starts but bogs down as soon as I hit the throttle. I’m not sure if it’s starving for fuel or if it’s getting extra air somewhere. Is there any recommendations on what I could try next to diagnose the problem?

Like these guys are saying it should be set at 1.25 turns on the high and low speed jet, if it doesn’t run there or 1.5... wouldn’t go leaner...pull the carb, fuel filter and fuel lines and inspect the intake boot for cracks. More than likely it’s the little screen inside the carb that’s clogged with trash or a carb jet that needs cleared and rebuilt.

I’ve rebuilt the carb and tried tuning it for hours. The intake boot as no cracks in it. Any other possibilities you guys can think of?

I’ve rebuilt the carb and tried tuning it for hours. The intake boot as no cracks in it. Any other possibilities you guys can think of?
Download a diagram of the carb and make sure everything is put back together correctly and you’ve used compressed air or carb cleaner to blow out all the passages.

So I put on a carb from my other 028 and the saw still bogs and stalls out exactly the same. The choke flap inside the filter isn’t stuck either. I’ve got no idea what it could be at this point. I haven’t replaced the fuel filter yet but I blew air through it and it’s not clogged

Check the ignition system :
-Clean contacts
-Check cable insulation
-Check air gap between flywheel magnet and coil => 0.2 -0.3 mm
-Test the condenser (only for old 028 AV and AVQ).

Look at the service manual for more information.

Back