Stihl 038 Gas Tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got that wire already attached. It's on the left.
Ok, its usually a multi colored wire, so the black wire you have laying across the saw mounts into the switch and grounds under the screw indicated, brass barrel end makes contact with the steel spring and the current flows to ground shutting the engine down.

Well I got another problem with this cheap aftermarket plastic gas tank from _______. It came with a 'baffle' piece that I'm told I should use. When I removed the old tank, there wasn't one. But it's been worked on by others so maybe they removed it. The problem is the nuts in the air filter only catch a thread or two. And being Aluminum, instead of steel like the original ones, I think have stripped.

The question is, do I really need the baffle piece? If not more threads of the air filter would catch.4x6h-9228.JPGIMG_9244.JPG

Well I got another problem with this cheap aftermarket plastic gas tank from _______. It came with a 'baffle' piece that I'm told I should use. When I removed the old tank, there wasn't one. But it's been worked on by others so maybe they removed it. The problem is the nuts in the air filter only catch a thread or two. And being Aluminum, instead of steel like the original ones, I think have stripped.

The question is, do I really need the baffle piece? If not more threads of the air filter would catch.View attachment 815046View attachment 815047
If by "baffle piece," you mean the item shown in the first picture, that is supposed to go between the carb and the carb box housing. It is designed to fit around the part of the manifold that protrudes into the carb box. I'm guessing this also explains your problem with AF nuts only catching a couple threads.

Thanks, I'll flip flop the order of assembly. If I put #30 up against the intake (beforee the carb), what keeps the silver ring in place that's inside the intake? The id of #30 is larger than the od of the silver ring. What keeps it from vibrating out? P.S. The saw is now cleaner than in the photo.IMG_9150.JPGng out?

FYI, If anyone cares :) ) I flip flopped the order of #30, and put it ahead of the carb as suggested. Makes more sense after you think about it. But it never had one when I disassembled it, so I didn't know. Still don't understand how the inner ring stays in place, though, because the carb rests now on the outer ring (#30). But everything else fits better now. I can use the new air filter which was desperately needed. Tomorrow I'll be testing it out on a couple of dead pines.

Thanks again.

IMG_9285.JPG

Latest posts

Back