Stihl 044 Smoking ALOT

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same problem and post went in wrong direction

Look at this post . I have the same problem and looking for answers , but someone thinks it 's time to try to be a comic,and changes the subject. This post was originaly put here looking for an expert to contribute knowledge , and could have gone into a different direction , about changing the crankcase seal , or extent of repair, tools needed ,procedure ,pictures . This is where a moderator should step in and send it to the ,.....Really dont have anything to contribute , so lets side track posts , column. ... .........No i'm not grumpy , just saw this BS sidetracking on another site get out of hand , till the moderator started pushing them to the "lounge column" .
Having said this , can anyone expand on the original question ? Thick blue smoke ,on high rev start up, bogs and shuts down when switching over to normal run mode. . Crankcase seal failure in other posts were said to be inherently rare. Makes sense , has to be getting the oil from somewhere. Any tutorials on how to do a breakdown and repair ? Thanks

Wow on your first post you complain about a bunch of friends joking with each other a little then ask for complete overhaul directions?
Everything you need is in the search function.Now after researching and you have some troubles we'll help.

Welcome to AS !!

Wow on your first post you complain about a bunch of friends joking with each other a little then ask for complete overhaul directions?
Everything you need is in the search function.Now after researching and you have some troubles we'll help.

Welcome to AS !!

YEP, we like our newbs to be demure, not brash and whiney.

Welcome to AS !!
Been here for 6 years and not in a hissy, going through the search brought me to this post . Which I was ever so grateful to find. Just a little disappointed . Maybe I was just to concerned about getting the trusty saw going before the snows come. Oh speaking of crankcase seals and blue smoke pouring out. How about that Tebow going to Canada.

This is a 12MM crank 044 I sold to you a few years ago correct? for a little background I did a full rebuild, had the saw down all the way, new main bearings crank seals, NWP bigbore kit, and the gasket set came from Baileys. I did the case gasket with 3 bond 1194. and I did new intake and a carb kit at that time.

Make sure the tune is correct then Check all the screws for the case and see if one backed out, and then think about the center gasket.

I see the OP was posting about this in the spring, Did you figure it out?
Glenn

Last edited:
Is it smoking the exhaust oulet or from the back or bottom of the muffler? You may have to pull the top cover and run it for a short time. I have seen a few 044 that leak at the case gasket under the muffler, making the outside of the muffler smoke. I think that foil under the muffler is there to prevent this.

This is a 12MM crank 044 I sold to you a few years ago correct? for a little background I did a full rebuild, had the saw down all the way, new main bearings crank seals, NWP bigbore kit, and the gasket set came from Baileys. I did the case gasket with 3 bond 1194. and I did new intake and a carb kit at that time.

Make sure the tune is correct then Check all the screws for the case and see if one backed out, and then think about the center gasket.

I see the OP was posting about this in the spring, Did you figure it out?
Glenn
Thank for the response, I am not the right guy though.
I do have 3 of the ms440's though. Never had any custom work on them.
They were always bad enough, out of the box for my work. On the same note
Never had any major work done on any of my stihls, and over the last 40 years probably had
15 or so. I had an. 028 , that was left in the woods after a hurricane cleanup
And found it 2 1/2 years later under 6 "s of leaves.
Didn't pull it, drained tank , refilled , and started on third crank. Could never understand
How it didn't varnish. This is part of the reason I am in such a quandary
On this smoking blue, just never really had any
Thing other than a coil and normal carb dirt.

I was replying to the OP who I did sell the saw to. I didn't realize this was an old thread.

Thank for the response, I am not the right guy though.
I do have 3 of the ms440's though. Never had any custom work on them.
They were always bad enough, out of the box for my work. On the same note
Never had any major work done on any of my stihls, and over the last 40 years probably had
15 or so. I had an. 028 , that was left in the woods after a hurricane cleanup
And found it 2 1/2 years later under 6 "s of leaves.
Didn't pull it, drained tank , refilled , and started on third crank. Could never understand
How it didn't varnish. This is part of the reason I am in such a quandary
On this smoking blue, just never really had any
Thing other than a coil and normal carb dirt.

I was replying to the OP who I did sell the saw to. I didn't realize this was an old thread.

Yea, thought maybe that was the case, this saw I am having an issue with is the
Bad wrist, non vibrating, smooth, fairly good power
MS361 saw. I took the chain off , ran it through the sharpener
Put it back on , and Crank right up
Pumping blue smoke, thought it would clear out let it run for about 30 seconds , clicked it up a notch and it shut down , at first thought the mix got doubled up,
But the other saws are fine .

Pumping blue smoke, thought it would clear out let it run for about 30 seconds , clicked it up a notch and it shut down , at first thought the mix got doubled up,

In your case I would dump the gas and the oil and make sure you didn't pour one into the other. (Ie Chain oil in the gas tank) It does happen sometimes. and dumping a tank of gas isn't going to break you.

In your case I would dump the gas and the oil and make sure you didn't pour one into the other. (Ie Chain oil in the gas tank) It does happen sometimes. and dumping a tank of gas isn't going to break you.
Your absolutely right, wouldn't be the first Senior moment
I had this week. Hope i can kick myself in the butt. Thanks

Am I understanding correctly that you are starting the saw with the master control lever in the high idle(half choke) position and leaving it running in same position? I don't know if that will hurt anything but I don't think it is recommended.

Your absolutely right, wouldn't be the first Senior moment
I had this week. Hope i can kick myself in the butt. Thanks

Ya, blue smoke is burning oil, not a rich fuel mixture, that would be black/dark brownish. You have to have made an incredibly heavy modern mix oil batch to get real blue smoke. From what I have seen any way. Sounds like bar oil in the mix some how. No idea on that saw how it is built, some can leak tank to tank. I dont know if that is a potential issue with those models at all.

After you drain it, use a different batch of mix, could be your whole can maybe is bad?? You need to check all that out.

Ya, blue smoke is burning oil, not a rich fuel mixture, that would be black/dark brownish. You have to have made an incredibly heavy modern mix oil batch to get real blue smoke. From what I have seen any way. Sounds like bar oil in the mix some how. No idea on that saw how it is built, some can leak tank to tank. I dont know if that is a potential issue with those models at all.

After you drain it, use a different batch of mix, could be your whole can maybe is bad?? You need to check all that out.

Yea, guess I will drain bar oil , take bar off, new mix.
I was pulling twice on choke, it would hit and I would move it up a notch to
Half choke ,tons of blue smoke , let it go 20 seconds thinking it would clear
Itself. pushed it up into run mode , popped the trigger
Trying to keep it running but would bog right down and die.
Just kind of surprised me , took a link out and put the bar back on
And the smoking appeared. I was kinda thinking I might have put bar
Oil in the mix tank, cause I had the phone in my ear talking.
Senior multitasking can be problematic and dangerous. The last year I had the phone in my ear
And talking with a lawyer, I certainly knew better but i poured a 40 gallon barrel of sawdust on a
Fire pit, needless to say I found myself living in burn center , with all the morphine
I didn't want. Just passing this along because there might
Be some young ones that don't know how volatile sawdust
Is.

Back