Stihl 070 no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisAndersonst

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Died while slabbing; pulled the spark plug, no spark against block; changed plug, still no spark, although a thin spark can be seen when a screwdriver is inserted into the HT lead in the boot and touched against block. Pulled flywheel cover and expected points absent, but electronic gubbins instead. I'm new to this, can anyone advise me what to try next?
Thanks in advance.

Is the HT lead in good order and kill switch not grounding out anywhere?
Post up a picture of what's under the flywheel if you can. There were electronic versions of these, although never seemingly mentioned in literature.
This is the earlier of the two points versions;

attachment.php

Thanks for the prompt replies. The HT lead and kill switch seem to be in good order - no signs of chafing or damage. Here is a peek under the flywheel cover - looks different from yours.
View attachment 263587

Last edited:
The module is probably bad. This is definitely the downside of the electronic ignitions with these. You should be able to easily replace it with an aftermarket one or buy a new one from pacific stihl.

Those ignitions are rare and no literature seems to exist for them. They still used a condenser and it is likely that which is at fault. Even more so given your description of being able to obtain spark via a screwdriver. You can check to see if it charges/discharges or measure the capacitance. I don't know if a suitable replacement could be found though. Likewise with the coil, you can measure the resistance of the primary and secondary windings to check it is good. Again if it were found to be bad I don't know if an aftermarket coil or an OEM one from the points set up could be used.
You can buy an aftermarket electronic set up. Like this;
Elektronische Zündung für Stihl 070 090 Contra AV 070AV | eBay
However, they were designed to replace the points set ups and I don't know if electronic versions had different flywheels.

You could also try one of those $20 nova ignition modules, but you should be able to find the parts fairly easily. I would start with the condensor as well but I will still put my money on the module. Those early Bsch and SEM modules did not fair well easpecially after 30 years of use.

Did you by chance try the spark plugs on a saw that does have spark? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the plugs could both be bad i have taken a brand new plug out of the box and it was dead from the factory. This has happened to me more than once.

The module arrived a couple of weeks ago (sooner than promised) and I now have a decent looking spark, but can't get the saw to fire up (always used to splutter after one pull with choke and then run after one pull without). Do I need to adjust the timing by rotating the ignition plate what little I can, or is such otiose with these electronic setups?
Thanks for all advice.

The module arrived a couple of weeks ago (sooner than promised) and I now have a decent looking spark, but can't get the saw to fire up (always used to splutter after one pull with choke and then run after one pull without). Do I need to adjust the timing by rotating the ignition plate what little I can, or is such otiose with these electronic setups?
Thanks for all advice.

Chris,

Just wondering how you ended up fairing with the aftermarket ignition... did you have to rotate the stator plate to get it timed correctly? I've got an 090 with no spark and am weighing my options before I start buying parts.

Thanks!
TFB

I've had very good luck with an aftermarket unit off german eBay in my 070. Cost about $20, fitted straight in no timing adjust and runs great. It was advertised for 090 and 070s

I've had very good luck with an aftermarket unit off german eBay in my 070. Cost about $20, fitted straight in no timing adjust and runs great. It was advertised for 090 and 070s

Would you mind posting a link, or a picture? I've seen 2 different aftermarket modules... One with an Orange pickup (Hutzl), and one with a Black pickup (no name)

Thanks!
TFB

Would you mind posting a link, or a picture? I've seen 2 different aftermarket modules... One with an Orange pickup (Hutzl), and one with a Black pickup (no name)

Thanks!
TFB
here's a link to mine, it has a cast alloy body - el. Zündchip zwei Anschlüsse für Stihl 070 090 Contra | eBay
Although I hope it's relevant, mine was points...
Does your 070 have this decal on the air fillter cover?
No it's got the riveted nameplate and was points

Latest posts

Back