Stihl 192T Saw Chain options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerdoug

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just picked up a 192T today.

Running a 12" bar [44 drive links] - I need to find out what people are running for chain types:

63PS - Yellow Very aggressive - I was told this chain won't work on this top handle saw.
61PM - Green Stihl chain - Works out to $4.80 a loop on a 12" bar when you buy a 100' (2,391 drive links) $261.

Anyone get a chain that performs better than a 61PM for this type of saw?

Thank you for your input.

its not that 63ps "won't" work…it will just work that saw a little more, i know a couple people that use it on their 192's because they like the full chisel option. the 61 is a narrower chain and allows the saw to keep the chain speed up by taking a more narrow kerf. unfortunately there are no other options of cutter types for stihl 61pm chain. and for 4.80 per loop thats not bad….not sure if other manufacturers offer any other type of chain for low pro 3/8…sorry if this wasn't helpful, just some input.

The MS 192 T C-E will cut at about the same speed with any chain choice. The .043 chain will run a little smoother, the .050 will be a little more agressive. Your best bet is to buy a reel of each, a guide bar for each, then get a feel for what you prefer. I kept the 63 PS3 on mine.

A muff mod and advanced timing helps, my 192t & 200t both run 12" .050 stihl picco chisel. I went off .043 quite quick after trying it on a 170, wasn't impressed

61pm must be an obsolete or not available in my area. 61pmm3 is what is offered and in the color print catalog I have. It is like 1640 drive links in 100 feet just like the other 3/8 (0.367"actual)
I guess an efco 132s counts as a similar saw. It likes the 61pmm3 or shark fin oregon 90sg. On a more powerful saw I don't think the speed will be much different. It is smoother as mentioned above. You probably realize the cutters are shorter so less sharpenings. Even more so with the oregon 90sg.

I use 44 drive link loops for the pole saw so it makes sense and works better, especially more time on the tiny gasoline tank of that 132s. I thought they wanted like $175 for a 25 foot roll. I do have a 9 tooth nose sprocket that is no longer available for that application.

Latest posts

Back