Stihl MS 271 Bar Smoking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmad5306

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently purchased a new Stihl MS 271 with a 20 inch bar. The dealer filled it with bar oil and gas. They used very thick Stihl branded bar oil. I also purchased a 16 inch bar/chain as my primary bar/chain for firewood. I wanted the 20 inch just in case I got into big stuff.

Before the first use I swapped on the 16 inch bar/chain and headed out to the farm to cut some Black Locust out of the fence line for fire wood. The chain was used on my 028, but I put a fresh edge on it, it was sharp and cut well. Rakers were just filed too. After about 3 cuts the bar was smoking. After finishing the first tank of fuel I noticed the bar was slightly blue in spots and the bottom cutting edge was missing paint for about the first 1/2 inch. This was in about 10 to 12 inch green Black Locust, which is tough. I was not leaning on it too hard, trying to break it in, take it easy on her. Is it normal to get this hot?

After burning the first tank of fuel I noticed both the bar oil and mix tanks were about empty. So its oiling. I also swapped to Super Tech Bar/Chain oil, it seems thinner than what the dealer filled it with. I didn't notice any smoking on the second tank. Was it just the thick Stihl oil? I have seen other complaints about it.

Since then I fired it up in the shop and ran it wide open with the tip of the bar pointed at some clean cardboard. its oiling, but it seem light compared to my old 028. Is this normal? I have checked the oiling port and its clear. Is this just a matter of the oilier being stingy on this new "efficient" saw? Or was I being too hard on it?

Also... is the oilier adjustable on the MS 271? I can't find an adjustment screw and the manual doesn't mention it.

Yeah both are .325 pitch. That's why I picked the 271 so I can use all the same accessories.

You have a major problem any time a bar gets even warm. During the summer cutting dry large Oak I can still touch the bar. My bars with hundreds of cords of wood on them still has the factory paint. Oil passage plugged, oil pump not working, pump not adjusted or? Check it out. Thanks

I recently purchased a new Stihl MS 271 with a 20 inch bar. The dealer filled it with bar oil and gas. They used very thick Stihl branded bar oil. I also purchased a 16 inch bar/chain as my primary bar/chain for firewood. I wanted the 20 inch just in case I got into big stuff.

Before the first use I swapped on the 16 inch bar/chain and headed out to the farm to cut some Black Locust out of the fence line for fire wood. The chain was used on my 028, but I put a fresh edge on it, it was sharp and cut well. Rakers were just filed too. After about 3 cuts the bar was smoking. After finishing the first tank of fuel.I noticed the bar was slightly blue in spots and the bottom cutting edge was missing paint for about the first 1/2 inch. This was in about 10 to 12 inch green Black Locust, which is tough. I was not leaning on it too hard, trying to break it in, take it easy on her. Is it normal to get this hot?

After burning the first tank of fuel I noticed both the bar oil and mix tanks were about empty. So its oiling. I also swapped to Super Tech Bar/Chain oil, it seems thinner than what the dealer filled it with. I didn't notice any smoking on the second tank. Was it just the thick Stihl oil? I have seen other complaints about it.

Since then I fired it up in the shop and ran it wide open with the tip of the bar pointed at some clean cardboard. its oiling, but it seem light compared to my old 028. Is this normal? I have checked the oiling port and its clear. Is this just a matter of the oilier being stingy on this new "efficient" saw? Or was I being too hard on it?

Also... is the oilier adjustable on the MS 271? I can't find an adjustment screw and the manual doesn't mention it.
Unfortunately I have the same problem

Check for burrs on the chain drive teeth. I’ve seen it lots at my shop with cooked bars like you explained and it’s from burrs on the teeth. Happens when the chain falls off while using it.

It sounds to me like you are doing something wrong. I have had the same bar on my saw for 14 years and the paint is still on it. That's 14 years of hard use, both at home and at work. No idea how many cord I have cut with it. I have cut tons of locust.

You shouldn't have to push on any saw. Make sure the bar and bar mounting areas are clean, no crud. They need to seal up when they press together or most of the oil will leak out around the bar mount. Is the saw bogging?

I have had steam coming off my bar when cutting wet wood, but never smoke.

In reply to the comment about touching the bar.... My bar gets warm enough that I don't want to hold it. I'm not talking crazy hot, but good and warm enough that your body tells you to let go and it hurts. 140* is perfectly normal for a bar/chain that is doing a lot of work. It feels about the same as picking up a wrench that had been sitting in the sun for a while.

A stock 50cc saw won't build up much heat at all in the bar unless something is very wrong or it's being used wrong.

Back