Stihl vs Husky pole saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egraham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am about to buy a pole saw for using around my farm. I have all husky saws etc but I used my friends stihl pole saw this weekend and it was impressive. Is there any major differences between the 2. I am looking at the ht131.

I won't buy another brand because the dealerships are too far away. The husky and stihl dealerships are close to my house.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The ht 131 is a four stroke that uses pre mixed gas and oil. Exactly what Husqvarna model do you have in mind comparing it to. I would expect two cycle vs four cycle gets counted as a major difference.

I have the 131 but no experience with any Husqvarna choices. There is a somewhat angled gearbox accessory for the Stihl, probably more for cutting the tops of hedges than for fence line work. Might see what accessories the Husqvarna one has.

I've handled them both the 327 and the telescoping Stihls, and had a HT75 breifly. I bought an echo ppt-280 last year. You should be able to order one online through HD, but I'd always recommend your local dealer.

Just my thoughts. I'd recommend you start out with a set of Jameson or Marvin fiberglass poles. Your stihl dealer should be able or order a set. Stihl re brands Marvin poles as PP900 or something like that. I truly get way more out of my fiberglass poles than my ppt-280. I also climb, so that is also an option to remove large branches.
As far as comparing the stihl and husky options. The 131 has the torque to rest the bar and the chain on a branch and start cutting from idle. My ppt-280 and mostly likely the 25cc husky will need some chain speed before cutting, meaning you'll need to hold it able the branch prior to cutting. This will wear your upper body. With the glass pole, hoist it up, rest it on the branch, a few pulls and gravity does most of the work.
The HT75 I had wil have a simillar design ‎if not the the same drive tube and shaft as the HT131. It is 1" od and flexes quite a bit a full extension. It is also known to bend beyond repair and need replacement.
The husky tube is aluminun and of larger diameter than the stihl. It is stepped down in diameter to accept the cutting attachment. I see the husky tube is being slightly stiffer.
The Echo tube is WAY bigger than the stihl and much more robust, and also heavier. You can add an addtional 3ft if your like too with the echo. The engine is OK at 1.2hp, not like the 1.4 or 1.9 of the stihls so don't expect power, but rather more durability in the drive tube section.
Just my thoughts..
You can always grab a KM set up as well and add the extensions.
Airframefixer‎

Back