Stihl vs. Oregon Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chase

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently purchased an Oregon Chain for my Stihl MS270 instead of the original Stihl, how does it compare?

:deadhorse:

Well, you need to give us more info, saw chain is not saw chain... there are a lot of different types, and each has their own positives and negatives. Stihl Chain is some of the best out there, if not the best for general work (not talking race chain, or carving, or concrete cutting). Oregon is good chain, don't get me wrong, its just not a sharp out of the box, doesn't seem to stay as sharp as long (chisel to chisel), and will stretch more than Stihl chain. It also doesn't have the "Oilomatic" system the Stihl's do, which for your 270 won't really matter, but when a big saw get a big bar on it you need all the help you can get.

+1
Oregon chain is a fine chain but won't HOLD a sharp edge like a stihl chain. Do a search on this. Yup, it cost more but it lasts much longer. And with the Stihl chain, I've noticed a very gradual dullness curve as apposed to oregon chain (and similiar) going from sharp to dull, with-out the gradual curve.
When I talk of "curve", I mean in comparison of a new chain and how it looses it's cutting ability over a period of time and still be usefull.

I've used both. The Stihl chain is better, no doubt about it. But...I run Oregon chain on all my saws. On a cost per chain basis versus how long they last they're just a better deal for me. I go through a lot of chain and the Oregon is more cost effective.

Stihl makes a fine chain but, at the cost of Stihl chain, Oregon is just fine for me. I buy it by the roll.

Latest posts

Back