Storm damage Cedar Rapids, IA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my 353. Underrated saw.
Philbert
"Underrated saw" is the under statement of the year. I just dug up some 10 year-old reviews of the 353 and some more recent ones. Very few criticisms exist. The 346xp is considered a hotter saw with more RPM but less life expectancy and less grunt. My 353 has unbelievable fuel economy. I usually wear out before the tank is empty. 'nuff said. Philbert, please keep that saw.

I have been using my Stuck Mini Dozer to move the wood down to the trailer since it is impossible to get the trailer up into the back yard. I have decided I need to build a log cradle for the rear lift, I can load the log forks in the bucket to the point it lifts the back of the dozer off the ground. I have been using this little yard trailer to provide a little counter balance.

20200820_101836.jpg

With the ramps properly located, I can drive the wood right in to the trailer. Between the bucket and the trailer I get about one row in the trailer for each trip.

20200820_102429.jpg

There was still a pretty good pile of logs at the start of the day. I made two trips to Hosky's and dumped the wood after cutting and splitting as needed.

20200820_075146.jpg

Not much left of that pile today.

20200820_150523.jpg

The storm was 10 days ago (Monday,10 August) and one home in the neighbor hood was only receiving attention today getting a large tree off the roof. Let me tell you, that is one big crane.

20200820_140100.jpg

One more trip tomorrow and I should have all of the tree clean up that I can accomplish for now. There is still the oak in back that will need to wait until the insurance adjuster comes on the 27th to have a look at the garden shed among other things, and I need to try and pin down one of the tree crews working in the area to come up with a lift that can climb the hill in the yard and fit through the opening to take care of that birch hanging over the house.

20200819_083625.jpg

20200815_155534.jpg

It is really hard to imagine the extent of the damage everywhere. Most of the corn fields in the path of the storm were completely flattened; I understand that in order to collect on their crop insurance they must harvest the fields and compare the actual yield to the projected...I have no idea how you can try to drive a combine through some those fields and hope to pick up anything. There are still utility crews working everywhere as well, my daughter does not have electricity though they have projected it will be on tomorrow sometime. On my trips to the Hosky farm I saw more downed trees and damaged buildings than I ever care to see again. I noticed one place with walls blown apart, and a bathtub hanging between what used to be floors.

Mark

If we can get them
So many widow makers [emoji35]

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

The power was connected around 2:30 this afternoon. Hopefully I will get the last load out tomorrow and can finally get some clean up done.

20200821_140020.jpg

Sorry Mark, I promised this one to a friend up near Dysart. I am not sure how many more trips up Hosky Hill the F150 could manage pulling that trailer loaded...

Mark

The power was connected around 2:30 this afternoon. Hopefully I will get the last load out tomorrow and can finally get some clean up done.

View attachment 850026

Sorry Mark, I promised this one to a friend up near Dysart. I am not sure how many more trips up Hosky Hill the F150 could manage pulling that trailer loaded...

Mark

That’s fine Mark
I was helping you out with a place to go with it and it helps me out too [emoji106]

Thanks

Goin out tomorrow to cut more trees and build more fence

Sent from Hoskey hilltop

Well, I made it back this week and took out a tangled mess of a couple uprooted black walnuts for my parents neighbor, a 92 year old man with emerging Alzheimer’s. Although I’ve known the guy over 20 years and mowed his lawn when I was a kid, he doesn’t remember me but thanked me for putting on a show for him. Photo of down the street attached as well showing the aerial “buzz saw effect” of the wind, and this side of town fared better than the rest. Absolutely incredible to see in person.36D00857-C65D-49E4-BCBD-580F0276046A.jpegA31A0B67-09DC-47CF-870E-1ECE4A856113.jpeg

I cleaned up my moms place in Ames last weekend. Going down again next weekend. Saws are getting a good workout.

Attachments

• 20200814_121949.jpg
    20200814_121949.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 18
The destruction caused in this area of Iowa by the Derecho is equivalent to an F2 or even an F3 tornado that's 200 miles wide. Truly hard to imagine that it could happen until you see these pics. Gasp!

The wind in CR was rated at 140 MPH for 40-60 min by the National Weather Service. That’s cat 4 hurricane crap!

The spirit of this fellow really brightened my day.

20200822_133050.jpg

20200822_133105.jpg

I've done all I can for now at my daughters place, trees cut, split, loaded, and 6 trailer loads delivered, brush and junk wood from the back yard hauled to the curb, even a bit of raking and general yard clean up. The insurance adjuster will come this week and then we can move ahead on doing something about the oak stem sticking up in the back yard. I talked with two tree service outfits about the birch over the house, one didn't come back to quote and the other said they didn't have the equipment needed (difficult backyard to access, steep slope and narrow opening in the fence). We may need to rent an aerial lift once the big rush is past and deal with it ourselves. There are still two large uprooted stumps that will have to be dealt with as well but I am hoping my daughter and son in law will make some decisions for themselves on these.

Mrs. Heimann helped out today by driving the Ranger down with my 5x8 utility trailer. I loaded the Struck mini dozer on the trailer, hooked the splitter behind the trailer, and loaded the Ranger with the wood we couldn't fit in the trailer. She made it home O.K. but probably held up a little traffic along the way.

I am looking forward to getting back to a few of my own projects next week, a number of little jobs have come in over the past two weeks but so far everyone is very understanding that I had other responsibilities that had to come first

Mark

Mrs. Heimann helped out today by driving the Ranger down with my 5x8 utility trailer. I loaded the Struck mini dozer on the trailer, hooked the splitter behind the trailer, and loaded the Ranger with the wood we couldn't fit in the trailer. She made it home O.K. but probably held up a little traffic along the way.

... .
Mark

A loaded truck pulling a loaded trailer pulling a splitter for 65 miles - as noted before Mrs. H is amazing and you are truly blessed!

Still wished that I could have helped you.

Ron

Back