SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did this fix and it worked on my great granddad's 056 Electronic. Thanks so much for figuring this out and posting it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Great story. Some old school material for the 1115 series that may come in handy for you down the road...

https://drive.google.com/drive/fold...pGZVV1OFNYdGptSVJhUmNVWkJ0SWlkYTg?usp=sharing

Thanks for the download links. I always got those parts manuals off the French site https://www.motoculture-jean.fr/upload/pdf/045.pdf but it's good to have some copies downloaded so I don't have to try to remember what arcane site I got them from. I should just download their perfect digital scans but have never gotten around to it. Huge Pogo fan by the way, grew up on Pogo courtesy of my mom who kept all the original comic collections from her youth. I rarely find anyone of my generation (51) familiar with Pogo, and most people younger have never even heard of Pogo. Just stumbled across an edition of Life Magazine from 1953 while doing a search for something else that had one of my favorite strips in it, with Albert as Meat Hamburg, private eye, and Churchy as Tundra Plunder, plucky girl chicken plucker. Anytime someone mentions something about getting crafty, I'm reminded of Albert's line from it "I'm getting crafty, kid" and Tundra replying "It's too late to bring in Crafty Kid".

I have a 056 Super missing the entire kill switch and it has no spark
It's fairly common for people to have gotten rid of the kill switch due to it shorting, and using the choke to shut down the 045 and 056's. I didn't bother putting in a new switch when I did my ignition fix, I clipped the wire at the ignition and pulled the old switch and wire out. Are you interested in attempting the ignition fix? (I think it's page 3 of this thread). As long as you have basic soldering skills, it's a pretty simple procedure. The biggest trick to the whole thing is running the wires so they remain out of the way of the fan wheel. It's nearly impossible to feed the wires through the hole in the casing the sparkplug lead goes through to the ignition as things are, but like others have mentioned, if you pry out the rubber grommet in that hole, then the new wires feed through easily.

Hi

I’m very new . Have 056 super that did not come with a kill switch

Not getting a spark. Where do I start

Attachments

• C7A9E41B-7C6B-4E75-904B-2F04041DD0C5.jpeg
    C7A9E41B-7C6B-4E75-904B-2F04041DD0C5.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 50
  • 65521FB4-584A-49AF-9AA6-B09554FBE659.jpeg
    65521FB4-584A-49AF-9AA6-B09554FBE659.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 45
  • 7F66CD9A-F8E6-4FA3-A21B-1540423B53C9.jpeg
    7F66CD9A-F8E6-4FA3-A21B-1540423B53C9.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 42
  • BEADD799-4175-4224-A230-7E9FBB4CB9F8.jpeg
    BEADD799-4175-4224-A230-7E9FBB4CB9F8.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • 8708ACCD-4D16-4AB7-8C5D-9EDD1C8F2F1F.jpeg
    8708ACCD-4D16-4AB7-8C5D-9EDD1C8F2F1F.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43
  • 916E3953-CDC7-464F-A3F6-6A3F41C45304.jpeg
    916E3953-CDC7-464F-A3F6-6A3F41C45304.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 44
  • 528D69CC-FB87-4DC3-BC02-90833BFA3729.jpeg
    528D69CC-FB87-4DC3-BC02-90833BFA3729.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
If the switch is gone but the kill wire is still flopping around in there somewhere you could have a dead short to ground causing the no spark condition.
thanks for your reply, I posted some pics, can you point me to what I should be looking at ? I am sooo close, this saw has 175psi of compression and very tight

Tape off that black wire (or cut it back a little more) to ensure it wasn't shorted to the case -- effectively killing the ignition circuit. Don't cut it back too far as you will need to splice an extension to it if you want to use the switch when it's all said and done. It's the kill wire that would normally go to the switch. Either put it back together and check for spark or just put the flywheel back on it and use a drill and socket to spin it over to check for spark. (The drill will need to be run in reverse to spin the flywheel in the correct direction. If still no spark, go back to page three and carefully review the fix in step-by-step detail. Then start searching for the correct capacitor. The good news is, you already have the Bosch ignition setup instead of the SEM (which is not fixable).

Second what Pogo said, I was going to mention that but assumed the switch AND wire had been removed which may well not be the case. Pogo, I may be wrong, but I think that black wire he shows is merely a ground connecting the main frame to the gas tank and not the old kill switch wire. Go ahead and undo the two screws holding the ignition to the frame and pull the ignition up off the shaft so that you can pull the black kill switch wire (which I believe you have your finger pointing to on the ignition) out from wherever it is lying around cut off and tape it off. If it does inexplicably run to that short jumper wire, remove it from the frame and tape/cap it. Then check for spark per Pogo's instructions. I have a spare capacitor I can mail you if the right one is hard to find on Ebay these days.

Bump

Wondering if anyone has any dead 045 or 056 bosch modules that they wouldn't mind selling to someone who wants to learn on a few.

-Matt

Hi, stumbled across this site after buying a really clean 056 super. It was a non runner but i took a chance and bought it anyway. Now after reading about this fix I’m happy to say the saw is now a runner!! Gave it a hard days work today and it never missed a beat. Another great old saw lives on here in Northern Ireland.
Special thanks to foggysail

Just performed this fix on my saw,followed the instructions and it was a fairly easy fix,only word of caution is to not use too high wattage soldering gun,the bar started to melt away on mine so i had to go buy a lower wattage iron.

Bosch 1107-400-510 for 08, 082, TS350

Can anyone tell me if this Bosch ignition and flywheel will fit on a Stihl 056 av. It has the SEM module and FW now.

There is an 08 magneto with a 1108-400-0510 part number, but It doesn't look like there is compatibility among any of the related components. There is an 1108-400-0800 ignition module for the 056 that shows compatibility with the 08, etc., but that would be the SEM you probably already have.
From what I've come up with, I'd say the answer to your original question is no. You'll need 30, 32, and 33 listed below to convert..., and possibly a starter modification for the recoil to be compatible as well.

Untitled.jpg

What's wrong with using a Nova ignition module and Bosch flywheel? It worked on my Sachs Dolmar 133 that had a non-replaceable SEM GE module. From the pictures I am seeing you already have the right coil to work with the Nova.

Back