SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, many times in the lawnmower business I've baked coils and brought them back to life. Either moisture shorts them out internally (which you bake out) or theres a solder connection that opens (could be due to vibration or heat) and baking them many times brings them back.
Fingers crossed and already pursuing a back up SEM module just in case...

Bear in mind that the force of the flywheel nut against the flywheel on the tapered crankshaft is where the strength of the entire attachment is derived. The key is primarily for timing alignment and only a marginal safety feature for the crankshaft in the event it somehow experiences excessive rotational torque. It has nothing to do with how tight the flywheel is. That said, and if the flywheel and crank keyways aren't hogged out, you can obviously just replace the key and probably be fine. In the meantime you could also carefully scribe a line on both the end of the crankshaft and face of the flywheel which correspond to the center of the keyways. Line them up and reinstall the flywheel to see if it still runs close to normal again.
I know this post is a couple of months old but I’ll share a recent experience anyway. My 064 Stihl was running rough and spitting back through the carb. Went through the usual things, checked the piston, good, rebuilt the carb, replaced fuel lines and filter, checked the spark screen, checked coil gap, all good, still spit through the carb and ran rough! After some thought and reading, I pulled the flywheel, lol and behold, the flywheel had slipped, deforming the key! I didn’t have a spare at the time , but I remember reading about using toothpaste as a kind of loctite on the shaft. After carefully marking the slot on the flywheel with a sharpie then tapping out the damaged key, I re installed the flywheel with a dab of toothpaste around the shaft, I lined up the mark with the slot as best I could. I gave the flywheel a solid tap using a socket to fit over the shaft, then let it dry for a few hrs, success! I just used the saw to mill up a ponderosa on my property, 2 solid days work, guess I’ll have to spring for a new key.:cool:

Couldn't find the capacitor on ebay. Does anyone have an extra they are willing to part with, or know where I could pick one up?

HELP ! I just completed a FOGGYSAIL repair and no spark. Beginning trouble shoot. I did one thing different because the head of the pulse transformer screw stripped out on the suggested side of the pulse transformer trying to remove it. I was able to get the other side screw out so I tucked the crimped lug for second capacitor wire under it. Does anyone know if this fix fails if you fasten the second capacitor wire under the screw opposite the side shown in instructions? I am new member and first post since reading and pondering this repair for months and finally dove in.

HELP ! I just completed a FOGGYSAIL repair and no spark. Beginning trouble shoot. I did one thing different because the head of the pulse transformer screw stripped out on the suggested side of the pulse transformer trying to remove it. I was able to get the other side screw out so I tucked the crimped lug for second capacitor wire under it. Does anyone know if this fix fails if you fasten the second capacitor wire under the screw opposite the side shown in instructions? I am new member and first post since reading and pondering this repair for months and finally dove in.

Which screw for a ground shouldn’t make a difference.

A Helicoil repair of the stripped hole is in order. That coil getting loose and flopping around could make a big mess. [emoji37]

Check continuity of your wire splices.

Thanks for the support on the ground location.
Threads fine on the other screw as I could not get that screw out due to messing up the Phillips style head, pretty soft metal there.
Checking continuity will be next plus I think I did a rush job getting the plug wire screwed in. No success getting the wire to bottom out all the way in, I think the wires are jammed up in the there and need to re cut the end.
Out to cut up some maple blow downs then some more shop time, hoping I will be one of those reporting SUCCESS.

Just to confirm:
326d52488551e15ccc37e2144bd85c1c.jpg

Is this the Bosch ignition in question or is it the SEM?

I’ve never seen them side to side so I can’t tell the difference.

I have capacitors in the pipeline. and two 056 need spark. [emoji15]

Here is the ones I went with and they are still available from good ole USA. Warning, I am the one that has no spark yet but the neighbor says the caps are good.
5 PCs Film Capacitor 400V 1uF 105 CAP
ebay item #162042775412 $7.50 for 5

I applied this fix to my father-in-law's 045AV this weekend. Prior to the fix his saw would run well until it got hot and then had to cool off before she'd run again. It eventually gave up altogether. I found this fix via Google searching and am glad I did! The saw fired right up after installing the new capacitor. I don't have any hours on the fix yet as I'm waiting for the expoxy to cure. I'm feeling very confident about it though.

Thank you for the repair instructions Foggysail

I have extra MKP 378 capacitors left over from my order. Forum members: feel free to contact me if you are in need of one.
If you still have those capacitors MKP 378 I would take at least one of them for a saw in need. Thanks

just ordered the same caps as above. See link
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-PCs-Film...775412?hash=item25ba808774:g:2JAAAOSw3mpXFWgs
Anyone know if these caps will work for the Foggy Repair?
BTW, Foggy, your awesome and thank you from the bottom of my heart, we need more humans like you around to make this world the way this world should be.
Everyone look up "Qanon" on you tube. You will be blown away. Its happening, a silent war, fight to the death between the white hats (good guys) and black hats (evil luciferians) in our govt.
The great awakening, The storm, Draining the swamp
"where we go one, we go all"

update...my 056 Super is still running great after the fix....got quite the workout here in Ct after we had theose Tornado's come thru a few weeks ago

Latest posts

Back