SuperSplit rack return issues...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
With cold weather the rack return springs no longer do their job. Played with it for a couple hours last weekend and got it working. Now same problem, again. Seems there is too much friction at multiple points.
(1) The sled sides drag on the beam.
(2) The rack sides drag on the rack alignment carriage bolts.
(3) The small center rack return bearing hardly turns in cold temperatures. It was 25 degrees today.
(4) The rack engagement cam assembly drags on the top of the rack in the return mode. In the splitting mode the bearings work as they should.
I split 1/4 cord today and each and every split required manually returning the rack, even after several cleanings. My hope was it would loosen up/warm up/something.
Any similar problems? Any suggestions?
I have removed the rack (in a heated garage) and the carriage is returning 90% the length of travel and stopping. With the rack in place #2, 3, and 4 noted above kick in.

How is the bearing that is on the bottom side of the ram that rides on the beam. I find mine will get gummed up. I usually apply ATF on the beam. After a few cycles it frees up and good to go. I just pour it on. I find the extra lube gets on the table and makes things slick. Nice to slide around the splits.

Your mileage may vary.

I had the same problem last year with all the cold weather. Some mornings I would have to slide the ram back and forth to get the bearing loosened up. I found that upon stopping the machine for the day to make sure the bearing that rides along the beam was clean(a lot of junk gets inside that little bearing housing that can freeze overnight). I would inspect/check the bearing. Mine seized up on me this spring. After talking to Paul he said it is normal for that bearing to go.

Thank you.
Yes the bearing on top off the beam often gets gummed up with stuff. Generally I clean it before starting and after splitting a half cord or so, and grease the rack about every cord for smoother engagement. Greasing the rack is what gums up the bearing actually.
I'd rather not oil the beam.
I do not need to hear from a customer about ruining their carpet, cloths, their couch, or getting in their Mercedes with traces of oil on them. Not going there, that would be an expensive splitter. Yeah I know, what about bar oil too?
The most drag seems to be the rack pulling to one side and not tracking straight on return, rubbing on the alignment pin. Greasing the pin quickly collects lots of debris. Backing the adjustment off causes the ram guide sides to rub sides of beam, and the rack to rub inside the rack tube. I'm making up my own part names here. At any rate this does not look good for winter splitting. May have to get the old SpeeCo out. I'll keep the splitter in the heated garage (50 degree) this week to see if that helps. It is in the wood shed, not kept outside.
Easiest things first.
I'll try bluesportster02's suggestion (using gravity) when I get it back together, as the rack is very heavy, and a dry lube on the bearings.
I was even thinking of something like a car hatch strut mounted underneath from the wedge end. Splitting compresses it, and it gives the springs a boost to start the return motion. Even an old car shock just fastened at one end under the table.

This teflon spray I have been using on my axes is some good stuff. Spray everything down with it that needs to not stick. Tried it in the cabin on the old wood sash windows, man, what was a struggle ten seconds later is smoooth as silk with one hand!

Had the same problems in cold weather on both my super splits this weekend. Next day it was warmer and the rack returned just fine. I was thinking the metal contracts when cold thus a closer fit on the beam.

This teflon spray I have been using on my axes is some good stuff. Spray everything down with it that needs to not stick. Tried it in the cabin on the old wood sash windows, man, what was a struggle ten seconds later is smoooth as silk with one hand!
Yup, stuffs slicker than greased lightning, but...hehehe...a lil FYI, you'll never be able to paint those winders again
Might be just the ticket on that splitter though

I have that same problem. I use PB blaster and clean the tract a lot with a putty knife. I'd like to retrofit some larger return springs and switch to a larger bearing or almost something like a rollerblade wheel. The little bearing just seizes up too easily when splitting.

I like the roller blade wheel idea. Maybe cut the wheel down a bit in size.
I cleaned everything up, degreased the rack sides, rack tube, pulled the small bearing. The bolt is center drilled for oil but the bearing is still ineffective. With the rack re-installed it does not return on its own. Used a silicone spray. May make a bracket to mount return springs on bearing closest to wedge end of guide, or add screen door springs inside existing springs. Side to side tracking of guide still a friction problem. Do they make the slippery plastic stuff in tape form for the inside edges of the guide where it rubs the beam edges? Seems like I've seen it advertised for table saw fences or something.
I would like to split throughout the winter months. My son visited today, mid 20 degrees and sunny, and spent a couple hours this afternoon moving racks full of wood from behind the shed so I can relocate the conveyor and set up the splitter to split inside the shed for the winter. It is an open shed on, almost, three sides. Still will not help much with snow covered logs to process with this splitter.
Well I guess I'm not the only one with this issue. Maybe a rope and pulley, the rope tied to the end of the rack and a window sash weight on the other end hanging down.

Tore into the push sled a little more. Three of the four bearings on the bottom of the beams top flange were froze up. Called Paul up. Stuffs in the mail, including a new version of the top center bearing. This is a small bearing in a tight housing that collects crap quickly. The new bearing is larger and the housing more open. I also went to a supply house to cross reference the bearing as it was very nice out today and would have loved to finish some cut rounds off with the splitter. There the guy could not cross reference it and asked a co-worker what he thought. It seems it is not a 'bearing' but a 'cam follower'. Interesting, and I guess makes sense as a bearing is usually 'in' something. A friend stopped over and said his brother-in-law is a retired machinist and has a small shop. May have him take a look. Paul did say the sled tracking is adjusted by minutely tweeking the top center bearing mount. Hopefully a follow up tomorrow or the next day.
When I did call Paul it was 12:30. The phone rang twice, and he, Paul, answered the phone. I have called several places in the last two/three weeks about large hydraulic splitters, and emailed also. Either way you leave a message and it is minimum a day, in one case, a week and a half before hearing from them.

I usually hate being the guy that I'm about to be. If I spent what you fine folks have on a Super Split, I'd be reaching out to the manufacterer pretty quick. I expect my equipment to work in all conditions that I am capable to. Now let me be the first to admit that I'm a hydraulic man myself and not a real fan of kinetic splitters, but this doesn't seem to be an isolated incident. It sounds like several of you have experienced a splitter that doesn't want to function when it gets cool out. If my splitter didn't run at 25 F I'd probably burn it lol.

But all kididng aside, your splitters should be able to function 100% in what I consider prime working weather. You all really need to ask the company to step up and either fix the issue, or flat out tell you they wont work below 40 F. If they choose the latter, we really shouldn't recommend them as highly as they do.

TreeTangler, That is what Sandhill Crane is talking about in his last post. He called the mfg and the Owner answered on the 2nd ring. The parts to fix it are already on the way.

still sounds like a serious design flaw , that needs to be re-asessed, whoever the design if it has bark dirt dust etc clogging things up like bearings quick or needs excessive lube to function its wrong in my opinion, even if customer service is tip notch;)

I agree. This is a design issue.
Note my post #7. I have emailed Built-Rite, Timberwolf, CDR Metals, PowerSplit, Split-Fire and others for info and prices following How To Split Big Wood Efficiently thread. The thing is you can not go to a single place and try all these machines side by side. I'd love to go to one of the summer expo's but I keep missing them, or are eight hours away. A sticky note thread would be a nice post for that including the GTG's.
The real truth is not to look at it as a flaw but a challenge. If any one of you came up with a good design solution you could 'after market' it, or build your own design splitter and market it. What about an air system return? Complicates the build, but springs, bearings and splitter grunge don't work together when wet or cold. Cold... hmm... compressed air would freeze up like a nail gun. Maybe a second pinion?

TreeTangler, That is what Sandhill Crane is talking about in his last post. He called the mfg and the Owner answered on the 2nd ring. The parts to fix it are already on the way.
I think you missed my point. Great customer service and a million replacement parts for life don't really help you if you've set aside a morning to split in your busy schedule and the equipment won't work.

Back