The demise of an 064 Stihl...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsikkema1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I sold this guy a bar for his saw a couple of weeks ago and he emailed me an update tonight... poor guy- I really feel sorry for him. I thought that it would make some good reading for you guys. Below is his account of what happened and it sounds like he's taking it on the chin- it also sounds like he's real lucky the tree didn't get him. I think there may be a lesson in all of this too (for all of us).

From Jeff R:
Here is an update on the 36" GB bar and chain I got off of you for my 064 Stihl. It worked great but when you drop a 48' oak log on it where it mounts to the saw, it has enough leverage to bust a saw in half. OUCH !! I was a little upset with myself after I did it.

After falling the tree- I was cutting the log at the top, when I cut through it, it came free and kicked towards me. I got away but the saw didn't. The saw stayed running under the log as it sank into it's earthen grave. It sank far enough into the ground that I couldn't get to the kill switch. I ran to my truck to use the winch to save my dying saw from the death grip of the big oak, but my efforts were in vane. The battery was dead from winching the tree over and then running 150' of cable back in. So to the house I ran, to get my wifes' Jeep, to jump start my dead truck, to save my saw which was still struggling for life under the mighty oak. As I was jump starting my truck the saw idled up like it was taking it's last breath and then it was silent, it had died from lack of fuel due to the busted tank. I finally got my truck going and rolled the oak off the saw, which up till then, was my pride and joy.

I looked in horror as the saw sat 10" in the dirt with the 36" bar pointed to the heavens. I started to access the damage-  I raised my dead saw from its grave and wept. So here is the damage report-fuel and oil tanks busted!!, both sides of crankcases busted!!, muffler smashed!!, mounting studs for bar pulled out!! And if this wasn't enough, as the saw was running under the log it created enough heat to melt the plastic top cover and burn the bark off the oak! Take that you stupid log!! But at the end of all this excitement your 36" GB bar was unharmed. I hope you enjoyed the tale of my ignorance, laughter helps relieve the pain of losing my beloved 064. Let me know if you have the 028 parts and if you know anyone who needs a few good 064 parts. Also how long can a tree survive after being cut off at the base, cause I still think that log squashed my saw on purpose.                       Later, Jeff

Last edited:
demise

Poor guy. We get those stories from our customer and really feel sorry for them, the saw is quite an investment. But ,I can sell him another saw, I can't do much for a dead cutter. Glad HE made it out OK.

if jeff wishes to part with what is left, i am interested. i have one here that suffered melt-down but the owner does not want to put big money into a rebuild. marty

I think we all have felt or have at least had close enough calls like that to appreciate what the poor guy is going through. Most importantly is "HE" was ok and unscathed, but he has lost a partner, a trustworthy friend, and it hurts :cry: . On the other hand hey he might get to go out and buy a new one, yippee that’s so much fun.

064 parts saw

Hey Marty...
I talked to him last night and he said theres not much left... He's looking for a 064 or 066 (used) and will keep the 064 for parts.
Jeff

jeff,
thanks for the heads-up. i can check with this fellow and see if he wants to part with this one. when he brought it back after melt-down he said he may want to trade it in for something else, new or used. goodness knows, i have lots of good used for sale.
marty

emailed you

Marty, I just emailed you the information...
maybe you can work something out.
Jeff

Back