The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not a farm tractor but it's the tool me and friend uses to take down trees around power lines and houses ,, very handy to have :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'd like to see more too, I'll start this show.

Here's some pics of my New Holland TN95F at work in my mill yard, grading/stacking/piling/organizing my collection of sawlogs

Before

100_3700.jpg

100_3701.jpg

100_3702.jpg

After

100_3706.jpg

100_3707.jpg

More pics

100_3703.jpg

Big Red Oak (closest to the tractor)

100_3704.jpg

The "supersteer" axle exclusive to the New Holland's sure makes life alot easier when you're working in a small area, and need the manouverability.

100_3705.jpg

Harvesting And Milling White Pine

Here's the first tree i chose to harvest...

standard.jpg

After cutting all of the lower limbs off the trunk, cleaning out around the tree, and knotching the trunk, i put my "timberjack" in place, and started my cut... Once i was in a bit, i pounded a wedge in, and sawed to the "hindge".

standard.jpg

Then i pulled the saw out, and cranked the handle on the timberjack... and over it went..

standard.jpg

once it was over i started "limbing" the trunk,

standard.jpg

and then sawing the logs out,

standard.jpg

Here's how i go to the woods, i'd rather use my ATV and then go back for the tractor after i have all the logs sawn out, and now it's time to go get the tractor!

standard.jpg

Next it was time to skid the logs out where i could get to them with the forks on the loader,

standard.jpg

and start loading them on my running gear..

standard.jpg

As you can see, a couple of the logs were pretty decent..

standard.jpg

With the logs loaded, i headed to the mill yard..

standard.jpg

here's one last look as i left the woodlot..

standard.jpg

The next project is to start milling these white pine logs, to the "materials list" my customer gave to me...

Now it's time to mill those logs! Once i had one on the mill, i took a slab off it,

standard.jpg

after takeing the first slab off, i turned the log useing the Lumbermates "winch log turner" and saw another slab off and turned it again.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

now, one last turn to get that "last" slab off!

standard.jpg

with that done, i made a 6" cut that will become some very nice 5/4 boards...

standard.jpg

i set that piece aside, and whittled down the cant takeing more 5/4 boards. I needed to get it down so i could make a couple 6"x10" beams...

standard.jpg

Here's a shot of the slab pile, the closest ones are from this pine. I need to start sawing these into "firewood length" and putting them out by the road forsale...

standard.jpg

Anyway, here's the tally... Lots of 5/4 boards and two 6"x10" beams, ready to be delivered!! Ohhh, i managed to get a bit of a sunburn too...

standard.jpg

Hope you liked the picts...

Rob

thats some nice work sawyer, how many hours do you figure you put in start to finish?

I'm not sure, as i didn't do it all on the same day... These days i'm kinda busy in the summer with other things, so i log and mill them as time permits. Also, i'm no ball of fire anymore, and i work alone, at my own speed.

I'd say a couple hours to cut the tree down and get it home, and 2 or 3 more to mill it all up and take care of the slabs...

Glad you liked the picts...

Rob

bump

Thread bump......newbee's look through the pics in this thread, they're pretty good. If anybody else has pictures to post post em'!:greenchainsaw: :chainsaw:

Sorry I dont have any picas of my tractor doing any actual skidding, but I sold these logs last summer. I cleared a couple acres to build my house and barn on, plus dig a pond.

One of three stacks, white oak, red oak, and soft maple
attachment.php

another
attachment.php

My "skidder" a late 70's Case 580C, I either chained the logs or just picked them up with the backhoe and carried them if I could
attachment.php

Its a tuff old motha
attachment.php

Sawyer,
Really enjoyed the pics you posted, thanks for taking the time! First time I've seen a timberjack, looks pretty handy! Nice looking country, what state? I grew up in WI and often miss the hardwoods.

Latest posts

Back