The Farm Tractor in the Woodlot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodfarmer said:
you know i'd be there tomorrow but look up my "gone to the beech" thread and you'll see why i can't get away. that looks like an e-tec? is it a 359?
Yes Woodfarmer, that's a 359 that Daqve Neiger built for me. It really gets up and talks. I use it for bucking on the landind as well as limbing and falling smaller stems to 18" DBH.
John

woodfarmer said:
you know i'd be there tomorrow but look up my "gone to the beech" thread and you'll see why i can't get away. that looks like an e-tec? is it a 359?
Yes Woodfarmer, that's a 359 that Dave Neiger built for me. It really gets up and talks. I use it for bucking on the landind as well as limbing and falling smaller stems to 18" DBH.
John

Gypo Logger said:
Thanks for the offer Andy, however, I've worked so long alone in the woods we'd probably kill each other. ;)
John

Let me rephrase that John, I would be out ther in a heartbeat to LEARN from you!!!(as in work for free) I am of the age now that I figured out that I don't know anywhere as much as I thought I did. Better?
Andy

Lakeside53 said:
hmmmm:monkey:
Another use of the S irons were in railroad tie. The men who hewed the ties with scoring and broadaxes were called 'Tie Hackers'.
Maybe one of the toughest jobs in the woods.
John

Well, i managed to get a few logs in.

standard.jpg

and i even sawed up a little firewood.

standard.jpg

i also managed to mill some of the logs into lumber,

picture.JPG

then get the lumber on stickers,

standard.jpg

I even quartersawed some of the oak

standard.jpg

Rob

With all the talk about tractors I figure I'd join in.

This is a tried and true Kubota L295DT that I rescued from a swimming pool a bunch of years ago. Dried it out, changed the fluids, replaced a few broken parts and all is well. I use it all the time and wouldn't trade it for the world.

The old truck in the background is a tractor itself. An old Land Rover whose winch I was using to fell this crappy poplar. It doesn't show in the photo but it was pretty close to a house and I didn't want to take chances.

jim

tree.jpg

Hey Guys, Just joined up today, Just wanted to say i have been reading this site for about a month and really enjoy it. Lots of great tips and pics

Thanks alot, Keep it up.

Gypo you have the best pics! keep em comin

I'll post one too....

Cleaning up some old slab wood and buzzing it into firewood lengths for the wood stove in the shop...

Rob

standard.jpg

nice pics.

nice pictures Gypo. I also have a ford 1510 4wd rigged for loggin. Usually if you can walk there I can get the tractor there. Nice for those tight landings. Have you been doing any cutting lately? BTW, nice 385! I need to get mine soon. Did you sell your 540 JD?;) :D

Here's my set up, I'm lucky enough to have a couple tractors and a couple trailers to choose from (farm) but this was yesterdays set up:

Too bad it's not a JD design...JD bought out the original manufacturer and put the original dealers(my ex father-in-law was one) out of business.

Latest posts

Back