The sharpening struggle is real

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One more thing I thought of that helped me...sharpen before it is really dull. I was so bad at sharpening, I wanted to get all I could out of a sharpening...so I waited. Which made it harder to sharpen well, which confirmed I sucked at sharpening. Sharpen every tank or two and you only need to make a few strokes. Part of what that means, is mistakes can't cause too many problems...
It is much easier to KEEP IT SHARP then to GET IT SHARP!

For me using a grinder is not possible and they take a long time to set up. A hand sharpened chain will last much longer than any ground chain period. Philbert could probably sharpen many folks chain, but he does so many that hand filing would not be an option. For an average rocked out chain it could take up to 20 minutes for a 404 30''. When I am cutting I will sharpen up to six times a day so if it takes longer than 10 minutes each time it would mean no cutting would take place. Yes it takes some time to get the understanding of what needs to happen, but after a while knowing that you can get your chain to perfection is a great accomplishment. Any body can master the hand sharpen technique, but it does not happen with out practice and effort. The video that started this is pretty basically good. Thanks

To me it's sort of a understanding your saw thing. Any a hole can grab a saw and use it. But the cleaning after every use and maintenance are what makes you appreciate the saw. I'm still learning the hand filing but I'm still running sharp after a couple years of doing it. It's a skill and it takes time to perfect it. I sharpen after every use and clean the saw after every use.

I too recommend the 2in1 sharpeners. I have 3 different setups, 1 for each of my chain sizes (3/8LP, .325, and 3/8). I touch up my chains everytime I refill the tanks. It is quick and easy, gives me a break from cutting, and gets the rakers at the same time. The non-stihl brands work just as well. You can replace the actual files in the 2in1 as needed. I haven't been back to the shop for new chains or "professional" sharpening in years. Practice... often, and you will be set. Best of luck.

....The non-stihl brands work just as well. ...
Not sure if you were referring to the 2 in 1 holders or the actual files. I tried to do a good comparison of Stihl and Pferd a while back. Took close up pics - which lead me to think that the Stihl was going to be better. I sharpened Chain A with the Stihl then Chain B with the Pferd. Chain B cut better. Sharpened each again with opposite file. Chain A cut better. Not a huge study...but it convinced me that the Pferd files do a better job, for whatever it is worth. Some will suggest that I've brought religion and/or politics into the tread by going there, but I'm just passing along my observations :laugh:

Not sure if you were referring to the 2 in 1 holders or the actual files. I tried to do a good comparison of Stihl and Pferd a while back. Took close up pics - which lead me to think that the Stihl was going to be better. I sharpened Chain A with the Stihl then Chain B with the Pferd. Chain B cut better. Sharpened each again with opposite file. Chain A cut better. Not a huge study...but it convinced me that the Pferd files do a better job, for whatever it is worth. Some will suggest that I've brought religion and/or politics into the tread by going there, but I'm just passing along my observations :laugh:

I agree with you, I am not sure which files made it into the Stihl vs Pferd, but my guess is that Stihl took the lowest cost bidder. The good news is, if you get bad files you can replace them with better ones.

I think there are lots of good saw and tools, but I don't drink anyone's cool aid.

I got this one sold under Pferd name. Almost certain there is little difference other than color and price.
Works very well for quick touch ups if one is careful.
Perfect for homeowners. Make sure you get the correct one for your chain size!

It seems like it would be easy to develop bad habits with one of these though.
It has a lot of grip surface making it very easy to get a lot of leverage on it and take too much.
Gotta give even pressure and the exact same attention to each tooth.
Again,... great for touch up in the field, not for re-setting a chain that's been into some rocks or found a bullet/nail.

I have a really great saw guy 5miles from here. He re-grinds all my effd up chains for about a Tenner$... Well worth it to keep him in business.

Back