The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rescued another one. Left the rest for someone else. This is the ad pic. Haven't had time to dig too far into it but it has great compression and is in great shape under the dirt.

will look nice after a spit shine..found a 700 pretending to be a 10-10 this week

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rescued another one. Left the rest for someone else. This is the ad pic. Haven't had time to dig too far into it but it has great compression and is in great shape under the dirt.

Hell doesn't even look like the paint is skinned up under the dirt! Definitely post a pic after a wipe down.

I'm not currently a McCulloch owner, I've got a soft spot for them because I grew up around them, and I'm thinking pick one both to play with and to have as a back-up saw. I don't know much about them overall, but I've always heard that the 10-10's are one of "the" Macs to have. I found a running 10-10A that looks really nice, comes without bar or chain, and they're asking $100. I found a 10-10 Automatic that doesn't run and that one is $50. Those prices seem high to me, but I just don't know the market for them, what kind of price range can expect for a 10-10?

Are there some models that should be avoided? Some that are must have?

Thanks for any education that can be passed along.

Adam.

I generally pay $50-$75 for complete non-running 10-10's. Nice running ones depending on model could go for $75-$200. I've had/run a pm55, pro 10-10, pm10-10s, and still have a 10-10 auto. I've loved and enjoyed running them all. The 55 and 10-10s were 57cc, rest were 54cc. For me the edge goes to my 10-10 auto for my favorite. I just slightly enjoy the more compact size/weight and handling compared to the newer ones. I've also got a 2-10 I haven't got running yet that I assume will feel similar to my 10-10a.

They all have common problems. Worst I've dealt with outside of normal stuff you do to get an old saw running is leaking fuel tank seams and leaky fuel lines where it passes through into tank. I also had a pm700 that had a oil pump leaking into crankcase.

I'm not currently a McCulloch owner, I've got a soft spot for them because I grew up around them, and I'm thinking pick one both to play with and to have as a back-up saw. I don't know much about them overall, but I've always heard that the 10-10's are one of "the" Macs to have. I found a running 10-10A that looks really nice, comes without bar or chain, and they're asking $100. I found a 10-10 Automatic that doesn't run and that one is $50. Those prices seem high to me, but I just don't know the market for them, what kind of price range can expect for a 10-10?

Adam.

Skip the 10-10 and find a 7-10 or pm700. seriously a big bore 10-10 They go very well and heaps of grunt with a 20 inch bar

Adam.

I'm right down below you and if your gonna buy a non running saw might as well make friends with your scrap guys and junk men , I'll pay for a nice saw or the 700, ( I have 2).
Honestly though I'm constantly stopping buy scrap yards and asking about old saws , half a dozen 10- 10s later and have not paid more than 20$ for them , all ran but most need the usual carb kits ,seals and a good scub.
Old saw shops aren't too bad but they usually run higher 50- 100$ range.
Personally I feel better about rescuing an old saw from the dreaded junk piles of the scrap yards , and even if you pay 10$ for one thats no good it becomes (parts support).20190806_191812.jpg
10$ needs a seal but runs , scrap yard saw.

Adam.
Oh and it doesn't hurt to befriend and help old guys out in your neighborhood, fixed a farmers f250 and he gave me the pm700 I run all the time. The saw sat in a barn for 15 years and had a great coating of preservatives on it ( bar oil and grease).

1 of those saws ya just have to have.

What's up with your 2-10? What carb are ya going to run?

Don't know yet, I got my 2-10 in a multi saw deal over a year ago and it has just been hanging from the ceiling ever since. Currently dialing in my sp81 and working on my 790. After those plan is to bring it down and dig in.

Well, the "must haves" in the 10 series saws are a PM850, SP81, and the 7-10. They aren't cheap when you find them unless they're pretty well clapped out. Otherwise, most any version of 10-10 is worthwhile depending on cost and condition. And most will run even if they've been sitting for years (as will most Macs). As mentioned, there are a few variants that are 57cc's with the 10-10S being the only 57cc "10-10" while the others are essentially just re-badged 10-10's for marketing purposes.

You pretty much can't go wrong with any 10 series Mac, but should be able to rustle up a 10-10 quite a bit cheaper than the prices you mentioned. Paid $25 for my last one with a bar and chain and it runs with no tank leaks. They're out there.

Back