Thoughts on the new micro processor controlled saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back to OP’s question, my BIL’s have been running an auto tune 562xp and a couple of Stihl m tronics since right after they came out. No problems, they love the starting, idle and performance.
It’s hard to comment on true long term durability since the tech is new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been running 562s for about 4 years now. -20-+100 F, and 2500-6500 feet of elevation. Not one hiccup, not one trip to the dealer for issues.

I have no idea about longevity of the electronics, I just trade them in on a new one every 4-6 months (same as I do with any of my other huskys).

M-Tronics & Auto Tune are a lot better than having carbs with limited coils! At least you know you are not running lean (as long as you don't have an air leak) because you can't hear the difference between 4-stroking & hitting the limiter. In the 1980s Jonsereds put a governor on their 920. Many of them were scorched, & I think it was because the governor cutting in fooled the operator into thinking the saw was tuned too rich. It wasn't too long before they issued a plug to de-activate the governor!

problem with electronics - it does not mate well with the lowest bidding supplier. the bean counters like it on paper though. out in the field we just get our backside handed to us on a shovel Easy start tech- generally I just call it never start. kinda like the old lawn mowers with wind up spring , push crank down to ( never) start.

problem with electronics - it does not mate well with the lowest bidding supplier. the bean counters like it on paper though. out in the field we just get our backside handed to us on a shovel Easy start tech- generally I just call it never start. kinda like the old lawn mowers with wind up spring , push crank down to ( never) start.
Jacobsen had that........

I know for our dealership the manager doesn't want to spring for the several thousands of dollars to get the software to actually use the mtronic diagnostic tools.

I know for our dealership the manager doesn't want to spring for the several thousands of dollars to get the software to actually use the mtronic diagnostic tools.
First thing to ask is, do you have software tools for saws you sell. If not, move on to a different dealer. That dealer only wants profit from sales and could care less about service after sale, he could charge for that service and pay for needed tools, making a loyal customer for years to come.

I worked for a large company, actually there engineering group. We life tested ever new product to make sure we had a quality product. Nothing was rushed out the door. My transmission just failed in my car. It was just out of warranty. Subaru covered the cost, I paid nothing. I did ask there engineering group if they life tested the new design or let the end product user (me) life test it?

At this point in my life I don’t have the time to load the husky auto tune program to my computer. And checkout my saw for an illness.

There’s a reason why I’m grabbing the older husky chainsaws that are very reliable. No micro processor nada. I’m not happy about some of the older saws with these manifolds. Before they were solid blocks. Nothing ever went wrong.

I’m very gun shy with new technology. In the past when I wanted to cut I cut time was money.

When I was a auto mechanic I used the Allen scope when tuning a car. I checked out the car. It got me more tips because they never seen one used before. In my mind I can see my chain saw on a table all hooked up to a computer. Im saying how bad is it? I’m thinking will my chainsaw make it? Lol. Does it have a virus?

Advances in technology will result in lighter more powerful saws with less down time, less maintenance and use less gasoline. The tradeoff is that you can't tinker with them like you're used to. The advantage is that you don't HAVE to tinker with them the way you used to. I wouldn't trade my twin turbo, fuel injected engine for a carburetor engine with points and a distributor for love nor money.

Well I guess it just comes down to preference. I guess I would just rather have a saw that I either tune myself, or have somebody tune for $20, then have a saw that is computer controlled, and when said computer fails..and it will, costs possibly hundreds to fix......no thank you.

@mcobb2, @cobby08, @mcobb, @corncobb,

How much for the module on a 441 CM?

I was just researching new saws, and was blown away to find that some of the new saw offerings from Stihl, and Husqvarna have micro processor controlled tuning...wtf! I can only imagine how this is just a terrible idea. What will it cost to fix when the electronics crap out? They just can't leave well enough alone, can they?

Once you go autotune you never go back .

Try one be it mtronic or autotune you will like it ... Unless you have an emotional attachment to outdated stuff.. If you like old crap for the sake of old crap here

People hate change look at light trucks and autos they don't make them like they used to AND THAT is a GOOD thing

95 f350 360,000 miles
04 expedition 198,000 miles
97 expedition 240,000 miles
01 Dakota 198,000 miles

I am sure my 550xp will outlive me
I just bought a used 562xp I have so much faith in the tech
The 576xp... You literally have riding lawnmower horsepower in a format you can run all day ....

Things change sometimes for the better

I get the emotio9 atatchment to old tech that treated you well I was spoiled and the first saw I used was a 028avs ..if I find a used one I will snatch it up in a heartbeat .. Is it even 1/100 of the saw a 550xp is hell no ...

I love 2 stroke Detroit's ..they sound and feel right a 6.7 Cummins or ford will run circles around a 8v92 which is my most loved oil burner .. Its just the way it is things change Automatics are better than manuals in every single metric these days

I am content to let the computer do the work for me ... Doesn't mean I don't love the fact I can wind up a 12v71 with a good 13 speed roadranger ..but the 6.7with a auto 5 speed Allison can put more power to the ground than I ever could.

Too long didn't read the autotune / mtronic is just the start of a good thing

If

Automatics are better than manuals in every single metric these days If[/QUOTE]

You just blew your whole argument with this one ridiculous statement, imo.

Automatics are better than manuals in every single metric these days If

You just blew your whole argument with this one ridiculous statement, imo.[/QUOTE]
Honestly look at total cost of ownership
Other than the preference of having a manual in heavy duty applications modern automatics are better .. Even the manuals are computer controlled ..

I get it its less macho to punch the D button than grab and jam all 18 ..but its a fact the computer shifts better than a human
Not going to lie its fun to grab gears and its a prestige thing to use the screwdriver to tune the carb .. But again the computer does it better

It’s about having a clutch. And selecting your own gears.

With a saw it’s about tuning the way YOU want for certain conditions.

At an average level there is no understanding...

Quite simply the computer saws are better in every single way period you will get a lot of emotional arguments against this but factually the autotune/mtronic are better in every single way period .. You will hear wacky arguments about if the chicoms nuke us blah blah blah
Take a same displacement saw one with a manual carb and a new fangled computer peice of crap the new fangled piece of crap will run circles around the good old days saw every single time

Latest posts

Back