Timberline Chainsaw Sharpeners???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goosedowner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know some of the forum members have bought these and I was wondering now that they have had them a while how do you like it.
I'm not that great with the files and I really don't want to buy an electric sharpener so these seem like a good idea for me???
How would you rate the Timberline Sharpener?
Any dislikes?

Thanks
Lee

attachment.php

how could you not be happy with this
there are others that have modified it and so on but all in all i think most are happy with it. so far i think the chain stays sharp a little longer because it sharpens without leaveing any burs

Last edited:
I am happy with it. The first time you use it on a chain it will require a bit od patience, as once set it will shorten all cutters to the same length. Now I don’t take the tim to find the shortest. I set it and sharpen the cutters, if I find one that is too short, I reset and basically start over w/ that cutter as the starting point. I went around my first loop a couple times as it was pretty butchered from the various attempts at master...um...er learning to hand file.

The cutters have a slight taper, and use this to your advantage in shortening the longer cutters work it in slowly, do not force the cutter in as this will only lift the jig out of position in the bar...

This thing will show you how good (or bad) your hand filing has been, correct your angles and out IMHO easily put an out of box edge on your chain.

One thing anoth member asked, and I have been meaning to try, is putting the cutter in my die-grinder and seeing what that would do. I would think the high cutter velocity would make it less likely to lift the jig on the long cutters, than need to be shortened.

dw

How do they last so far? Any wear issues at all?

well i have not used it much only use it for the 25" bar but i don't think i would put the bur in a drill or similar device as the bushes are alloy, i put a drop of oil on it makes it smoother to crank, it works ok on 404 and it's a walk in the park on 3/8 :cheers:

I'm thinking of picking one of these up. I read somewhere, and that may be in the other thread, that they're on back order. Maybe they will come out with an improved gen2? I haven't contacted Timberline yet though. Probably just hear-say. Anyone know if they're still doing a promo discount?

I'm thinking of picking one of these up. I read somewhere, and that may be in the other thread, that they're on back order. Maybe they will come out with an improved gen2? I haven't contacted Timberline yet though. Probably just hear-say. Anyone know if they're still doing a promo discount?

I just like the carbide cutting of these... No heat AND precision... I worry about consumable availability though... How long these folks been in business??? Anyone know?:msp_confused:

Hedge, as far as I know, they just started selling them last year.

Well it's one of those situations where I'd gladly plunk down the dollars for one, cause I like the concept so much, but don't want to be left with a $150 tool with wore out bushings and cutters, and no company to re-order them from...

Well it's one of those situations where I'd gladly plunk down the dollars for one, cause I like the concept so much, but don't want to be left with a $150 tool with wore out bushings and cutters, and no company to re-order them from...

The carbide bit are a off the shelf item, no big deal.. the bushings.. if you didnt try and use a die grinder and kept the hand crank on there.. I dont see you ever wearing them out.. if you did wear them out, replacing them doesnt look like that big of a deal.. press out the old on..press in a new one.. more than likely they are a off the shelf bushing.. I have ran a machine shop for 30 years..IMO.. not many companies go to the expense these days of making custom sized parts so you have to buy from them replacement parts.. I'm ordering me one!!

I just purchased a timberline sharpener. I ordered it last Sunday online & had it at my house in PA on Wed. After reading thru the 20 pages of the other thread on this sharpener I decided to buy one, as my hand sharpening skills leave a LOT to be desired. Let me start by saying I recently tried to hand sharpen the chain on my MS 290 & must have really messed it up.. It was IMPOSSIBLE for me to make a straight cut, my slices looked like the moon:cry: I got the new sharpener & went to work on the chain. As a previous poster had said.. you need to have patience the first time.. as all my cutters were all over the place at different lengths & angles. It took me a while to get the 20" chain straightened up... but the next day I went cutting & it cut GREAT.. as good if not better than new.

I will add that as I was cutting the next day, the saw cut good all day but towards the end a log rolled as I was cutting & I hit a rock which dulled the chain considerably.. That night, it only took me like 15 minutes to the get the chain back in shape again.

Overall, so far I am very happy with this purchase.

Welcome to A/ S and to the world of those that can't tell the difference between 25* and 45* on a chain :smile2: all kidding aside, the Timberline is a good tool . Great for Trueing a chain after a couple of filings .

Latest posts

Back