Time For A New One... Husky, Jonsered, or Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely the 372!. Also, talk to Spike60. Not sure if he ships to Canada, but if he does, he can get you a heck of a deal! Even with cross country shipping (NY to CA) he was still $200 cheaper than my local dealer. And he is great guy

Finally made up my mind,.. decided to go for the $500 deal on the 372. I found out who the original owner of the saw was and it turns out I know the guy. He bought the 372 for his 17 year old young fella,.. but the young fella didn't enjoy working in the woods. This guy bought a piece of wood land, a skidder, and a portable mill, figuring he and his son could saw a bit of lumber and make a few extra dollars,.. but after his young fella decided he didn't like doing it he sold the mill and the young fellas saw,.. he told me the 372 only cut 5 or 6 cords. I went to have a look at the saw and it looks and works like new,... so I handed the guy half the money and said I would be back payday to pick it up. Like I said,.. I know both the original owner and the current owner and don't think either would be dishonest with me, so I think it will be a good saw.

Hey guys,.. would just like to say thank you to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I finally got the 372 last night,.. so I thought I would through a couple pics on here,.. It's about as close to new as you will find,.. the guy put a new bar and chain on it for me,.. $500 well spent I think. I picked up a new bar cover and put a whip on it, so she's all ready for the woods,.....

XilsFNO.jpg

LO8ZjQE.jpg

Hey guys,.. would just like to say thank you to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

I finally got the 372 last night,.. so I thought I would through a couple pics on here,.. It's about as close to new as you will find,.. the guy put a new bar and chain on it for me,.. $500 well spent I think. I picked up a new bar cover and put a whip on it, so she's all ready for the woods,.....

XilsFNO.jpg

LO8ZjQE.jpg
Nice!

Ok guys,.. it's time for me to get a new 60-70cc saw,... I have been using a 365 Husqvarna for the past 20 years, and it has been an amazing reliable working saw, but it is starting to get tired, so I am planning to replace it but can't really make up my mind what I should replace it with. I have narrowed my choices down to a few good ones.....

..Jonsered cs 2066
..Jonsered cs 2172
..Husqvarna 562 xp
..Husqvarna 372 xp
..Stihl ms 362

I know the 2066 and the 562 are basically the same saw,... same goes for the 2172 and the 372,.. but was wondering if maybe there is some under laying pros or cons between them that some of you guys may know or have experienced.
To be honest I am a little skeptical of the newer self adjusting "computerized" saws, but I'm sure they are fine. I have had a little hands on with the 562xp and it was one great working saw.
I have very little to no experience with Stihl so some info, pros and cons compared to Husqvarna and Jonsered, would be great.
The older school style 2172 and 372 strike me to be more reliable than the computerized 2066, 562, 362,..... Am I wrong in thinking this way.. probably,.... so any advise or suggestions from your experience would be great.

Thanks
Jonsered and huskys are basically the same saw. I'm primarily a Stihl guy, but I'm less than impressed with a 362. I'd suggest a 441. I wouldn't rule out a 391, it's not a pro saw, but it is a hard running durable saw.

I hope to have a 372 one day! Very nice! What is a whip for again? Never seen one on a saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

XilsFNO.jpg

LO8ZjQE.jpg

Looks great. I can't remember if it was already mentioned that Husky is basically giving away wrap handlebars for these saws. Bailey's has them, and I think any dealer can get the kit too. It's like $30 for the handlebar, big dogs, the chain catcher and maybe something else. All OEM. For cutting firewood I definitely prefer a half wrap, but if you've got trees to put on the ground a wrap is nice.

I hope to have a 372 one day! Very nice! What is a whip for again? Never seen one on a saw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The whip is used as a measure,... from tip of bar to tip of whip measures 4 feet,... 1 length of saw = 4' for firewood,.. 2 lengths of saw = 8' for pulpwood,.. 3 or 4 or 5 lengths of saw = logs. The whip is flexible and will easily bend in any direction, so it is not a problem at any time,.. don't even know it is on the saw.

Back